Good textbooks on modern cosmology ?

In summary, there are several good textbooks available for studying modern cosmology, including John Peacock's 'Cosmological Physics' and Eric Linder's 'First Principles of Cosmology'. There is also a new book by Weinberg that will soon be released. The FRW metric, which is important in cosmology, can be found in books such as "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M. Hobson et al. and "Introducing Einstein's Relativity" by Ray D'Inverno. For beginners, Ryden's book is recommended, and for a more intermediate level, Coles and Lucchin's book may be useful. The conversation also mentions the intention to build a cosmology
smallphi
Is there a modern cosmology textbook as good or better than Scott Dodelson's?

Space news on Phys.org
Comparisons are inherently subjective, but John Peacock's 'Cosmological Physics' is as good as any textbook I've found. A far less known (and much smaller) textbook, Eric Linder's 'First Principles of Cosmology' is also very good.

I am curious about Weinberg's http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Physics/Astronomy/?view=usa&sf=toc&ci=9780198526827" , which will soon be out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope Weinberg does better job than Mukhanov explaining modern cosmology to beginners or middle level.

Wallace said:
Comparisons are inherently subjective, but John Peacock's 'Cosmological Physics' is as good as any textbook I've found. A far less known (and much smaller) textbook, Eric Linder's 'First Principles of Cosmology' is also very good.

Are there any textbooks that derive the metric for spaces of constant curvature from scratch? The FRW metric comes from this. But I've not seen any books that actually derive these metrics of constant curvature. Thanks.

The FRW metric is derived in:

"General Relativity: an introduction for physicists" by M. Hobson et al.
"Introducing Einstein's relativity" by Ray D'Inverno

Last edited:
smallphi said:
I hope Weinberg does better job than Mukhanov explaining modern cosmology to beginners or middle level.

I suspect that Weinberg's cosmology book will be somewhat like his field theory books. For beginners, I like Ryden's book; whenever I look at it, my enthusiasm increases. At the middle level, maybe Coles and Lucchin, but, even though I have it, I haven't really looked at it.

I'm slowly building a cosmology library. Right now I have

Ryden
Coles and Lucchin
Peacock
Dodleson

as well as too many GR books to list. I intend to get Weinberg soon.

1. What are some recommended textbooks on modern cosmology?

Some frequently recommended textbooks on modern cosmology include "Introduction to Cosmology" by Barbara Ryden, "Modern Cosmology" by Scott Dodelson, and "Cosmology: The Origin and Evolution of Cosmic Structure" by Peter Coles and Francesco Lucchin.

2. What topics are typically covered in textbooks on modern cosmology?

Textbooks on modern cosmology typically cover topics such as the history and development of the universe, the Big Bang theory, dark matter and dark energy, the cosmic microwave background, and the formation and evolution of galaxies and large-scale structures.

3. Are there any textbooks on modern cosmology that are suitable for beginners?

Yes, there are several textbooks on modern cosmology that are suitable for beginners, such as "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Andrew Liddle and "Cosmology: A Very Short Introduction" by Peter Coles.

4. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that can accompany textbooks on modern cosmology?

Yes, many textbooks on modern cosmology come with online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Some authors also provide additional resources on their personal websites.

5. How can I determine which textbook on modern cosmology is the best fit for me?

The best way to determine which textbook on modern cosmology is the best fit for you is to read reviews and compare the contents of different textbooks. You can also ask for recommendations from professors, colleagues, or online communities of cosmology enthusiasts.