Can someone suggest good websites for A Level (Grade 11 & 12) physics?

In summary, the student is struggling with their A Level physics studies due to uncooperative and boring teachers and a lack of review of basic concepts. They primarily study online and are looking for trusted, comprehensive websites that cover basics before moving onto harder topics. They have had negative experiences with websites in the past and are now considering using a textbook like Halliday and Resnick. The Edexcel specification document lists recommended textbooks for the course.
slakedlime
Hi! I'm an A Level student studying under the British Edexcel specification (8540). I'm struggling with physics. My teachers at school are uncooperative and boring; it's only been a month and without reviewing basics they're already taking tests. I don't remember much from my GCSEs and my books aren't helping. I primarily study online. Can someone please recommend a few trusted, comprehensive sites that cover basics before moving onto the harder topics covered in the A2s? It would be really useful if they are free and the material easy to follow. I have a lot of experience of sites that beat about the bush without really going anywhere. Thank-you in advance! :smile:

Edexcel homepage: http://www.edexcel-international.org"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are sites like Hyperphysics (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html) or online textbooks such as Motion Mountain (http://www.motionmountain.net/) -- I haven't used that one.

slakedlime said:
I primarily study online.

and
I have a lot of experience of sites that beat about the bush without really going anywhere.

Why not just get a good textbook like Halliday & Resnick, or Serway? One could easily waste a lot of time poking around for online pages that may have questionable information anyways. It's much more efficient just to grab a standard physics text and start working through problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help! I have a copy of Halliday and Resnick but one of my teachers said that it was too complicated for my level and that it'd be easy to get derailed. But now I think I'll give it a shot!

Does the course not have a required or recommended textbook? :confused:

Added later: I found the specification document at

http://www.edexcel-international.org/quals/gce/physics/as/8540/

and indeed it lists some recommended textbooks. I second what bravernix said about websites versus textbooks. If you don't like the textbook that you're currently using, try others at a similar level.

Last edited:

1. What are some reputable websites for A Level (Grade 11 & 12) physics?

Some highly recommended websites for A Level physics include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, HyperPhysics, and A Level Physics Online.

2. Are there any free websites available for A Level physics?

Yes, there are many free websites that offer resources for A Level physics such as OpenStax, Physics and Maths Tutor, and A Level Physics Online. These websites offer free study materials, practice questions, and tutorials.

3. Can you suggest a website with interactive simulations for A Level physics?

PhET Interactive Simulations is a great website that offers free interactive simulations for A Level physics. These simulations allow students to visualize and explore different concepts in physics.

4. Are there any websites that offer past papers and practice exams for A Level physics?

Yes, websites like Physics and Maths Tutor and A Level Physics Online offer past papers and practice exams for A Level physics. These resources can be useful for students to practice and prepare for their exams.

5. Is there a website that provides video tutorials for A Level physics?

Khan Academy is a popular website that offers video tutorials for A Level physics. Other websites like Physics Classroom and A Level Physics Online also have video tutorials available for students to watch and learn from.