Troubleshooting a Three Input AND Gate Circuit

• Thread starter kenvin100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gate Input
In summary, the speaker is discussing their difficulties using a three input AND gate on a breadboard and their attempts to troubleshoot the issue. They describe their setup and the problem they are encountering with the second LED not lighting up. Eventually, they realize that an extra wire connected to pin 4 was causing the issue and they are able to fix it.
kenvin100
Okay, so I am trying to use the breadboard and I have a hard time with a three input AND gate. Guess I can do a schematic

http://imageiso.com/out.php/i17298_3inputandgate.JPG

So in my bread board, I have pins 1 and 2 as inputs..with pin 3 as a LED (output), and I have a jumper connecting pins 3 and 4 cause the result of the first and gate determines if the second AND Gates lights the LED..and I have pin 5 as the input..and pin 6 in another LED..now I connected pin 7 to the ground and pin 14 to +5V..this is the problem: the first and gate works..first LED (on pin3) lights up, but the second one doesnt

I tested everything and I reconnected it to my breadboard..sorry I don't have a picture of it so I am curious why the second one won't light up..Any ideas guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So... do you have pins 1, 2, and 5 all tied high?

- Warren

yes i did that..its all on high..like on the +ve line..where pin 14 is connect to +5..and i have another wire connected to the power source..well the first led works

and I tried another LED..so I really don't know what I am doing wrong

How exactly have you connected pin 3 to both an LED and to pin 4?

- Warren

nvm i fixed it.apparently i think i broke the circuit when i added an extra input to pin 4..i just removed that wire and it worked..

1. What is a 3 input AND gate and how does it work?

A 3 input AND gate is a logic gate that takes in three binary inputs and produces a single output based on the AND operation. The AND operation only produces a true output if all three inputs are true. This gate is commonly used in digital electronics to control the flow of data.

2. How is a 3 input AND gate different from a 2 input AND gate?

A 3 input AND gate can take in three binary inputs and produce a single output, while a 2 input AND gate can only take in two binary inputs and produce a single output. This means that the 3 input AND gate has an additional input, making it more complex and capable of handling more data.

3. What are the possible output combinations of a 3 input AND gate?

There are eight possible combinations of inputs for a 3 input AND gate, and the output will only be true if all three inputs are true. The output combinations are: 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, and 111.

4. How is a 3 input AND gate represented in a logic circuit diagram?

A 3 input AND gate is typically represented by a triangle with three inputs on the left side and a single output on the right side. The inputs are labeled A, B, and C, and the output is labeled Y. The AND gate symbol also has a small dot at the intersection of the triangle, indicating the AND operation.

5. What are some real-world applications of a 3 input AND gate?

A 3 input AND gate is commonly used in digital electronics to control the flow of data, such as in computers, calculators, and other electronic devices. It is also used in security systems, where multiple inputs must be true for an alarm to be triggered. Additionally, it can be used in traffic lights, where all three inputs (pedestrian crossing, left turn, and through traffic) must be green for traffic to flow in a certain direction.