How do you translate word phrases into algebraic symbols?

• Thread starter VashtiMaiden
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of translating English phrases into algebraic symbols and the importance of precise language in mathematical expressions. The specific phrases discussed are the odd integer consecutive to and less than n, the difference between two similar phrases involving the square of the sum of x and y and the number 5, and the meaning of "the squares of the reciprocal of the sum of x and y is 15". The conversation also mentions the usefulness of diagrams and pictures in understanding mathematical concepts.
VashtiMaiden
Hello.
You might find this too noobish but pls help me.

My "analysis" is very poor, since English is not my native language and i can hardly speak in english! :cry:

Can you please help me translate these word phrases into algebraic symbols?

*the odd integer consecutive to and less than the odd integer n

What's the difference between these two "word phrases"
*the square of the sum x and y subtracted from 5 is 12
*the square of the sum x and y, subtracted from 5 is 12
?:confused:

And how about "the squares of the reciprocal of the sum of x and y is 15"?

The word "squares" kinda confused me.
Is it really plural? or singular?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi VashtiMaiden! :smile:
VashtiMaiden said:
the odd integer consecutive to and less than the odd integer n

hmm … "consecutive to" usually means "the next one" … but I suppose it could mean "the previous one". In symbols: "n - 2".

Personally, I think that's bad English. :frown:
What's the difference between these two "word phrases"
*the square of the sum x and y subtracted from 5 is 12
*the square of the sum x and y, subtracted from 5 is 12
?:confused:

Those really are bad English.

I think they both mean 5 - (x + y)² = 12.

I suppose the first one might mean (5 - (x + y))² = 12. :frown:

But whoever wrote them needs English lessons.

Where did you find them?
And how about "the squares of the reciprocal of the sum of x and y is 15"?

The word "squares" kinda confused me.
Is it really plural? or singular?

Again, bad English … "reciprocal" is singular, so it should be "square". "Squares" is wrong. :smile:

:cry: Thank you. ...and anyway, "bad english" is not my fault. And those are phrases not sentences.

A sentence about mathematical descriptions can, or should be an equation or an inequality. A phrase or may likely ONLY be expressable as an algebraic expression. Actually, the English used in expressing or describing the mathematical relation or description NEEDS to be precise in order to be clear enough to express in mathematical symbolism. In the effort to learn English and coordinate it with Mathematics, drawing pictures and showing diagrams are extremely useful in the learning process and in the learning to make the mathematical transcriptions.

What is the definition of translating word phrases?

Translating word phrases is the process of converting a phrase or sentence from one language to another while preserving its meaning.

Why is translating word phrases important?

Translating word phrases is important for effective communication and understanding between people who speak different languages. It allows for information to be shared and ideas to be exchanged across linguistic barriers.

What are some common challenges in translating word phrases?

Some common challenges in translating word phrases include finding the most accurate equivalent words, understanding cultural nuances and idiomatic expressions, and maintaining the intended tone and context of the original phrase.

What are some strategies for translating word phrases?

Some strategies for translating word phrases include using a bilingual dictionary, consulting with native speakers, considering the cultural context of the phrase, and using translation software or services.

Can word phrases be translated literally?

No, word phrases cannot always be translated literally as each language has its own unique grammar and idiomatic expressions. It is important to understand the context and meaning behind the phrase in order to accurately translate it.