A double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics?

In summary, if you are interested in pursuing a career in aerospace engineering, doing a double major in engineering and physics may be difficult to accomplish. However, getting an engineering physics degree may be a good idea in order to have a stronger foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
sacramentum
Hey,

I will be a freshman in college next year and I am wondering about the possible benefits of this double major. I am very interested in physics, but would like to probably pursue a career in aerospace engineering. However, I have heard from several people studying engineering in college that doing a double major in these two fields would be very difficult. Obviously, I have a lot of time to make a decision, but I would like some information from students and engineers -- is this really worthwhile for grad school?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion it will just make your life very difficult. If you're going to do aerospace, just read physics as a hobby and take the occasional physics elective.

Either major alone is difficult. Grad school generally doesn't care, as long as you had the required preparation for the program you're entering and kept your grades up. The extra physics background won't hurt as an AE, but the only good reason to do this is if you want to badly enough to keep focused.

Eh... You could do Engineering Physics with a focus in your preferred direction.

I was going to do that once but I decided it wasn't for me.

UC Berkeley has a program along those lines though and they do accept junior transfers so as long as you take basic CS, Physics, Chem and do well you should be able to consider it a possibility.

Last edited:
I don't know how this is laid done in the US, but here i europe (the german/UK tradition at least, that is western europe) you can have a degree in one subject and then it is up to the admissionsboard to admit you to the subject in question. Engineering physics for instance in sweden is a ticket to do research in a LOT OF subjects. Like automation, HEP, CMP, mathematics, power-generation, quantum chem, programming, algorithmitic computing and the likes.

SO, my advice to you is getting the engineering physics degree and put some aeronautical core courses in there. But if you do it in that fashion, you are more dependent on your contacts. Get some, and use them wisely.

sacramentum said:
Hey,

I will be a freshman in college next year and I am wondering about the possible benefits of this double major. I am very interested in physics, but would like to probably pursue a career in aerospace engineering. However, I have heard from several people studying engineering in college that doing a double major in these two fields would be very difficult. Obviously, I have a lot of time to make a decision, but I would like some information from students and engineers -- is this really worthwhile for grad school?
I would recommend perusing the websites of the Aerospace Engineering dept and Physics dept at universities of interest, and determining any overlaps in the requirements. If each major requires 2-3 core courses per semester, then one would need to take those 4-6 during one semester - in addition to fulfilling other requirements from the university. It might take 5 years instead of 4 or attending summers to take electives, for example some humanities courses. One may need concurrence of both departments.

My school has an engineering physics degree for undergrad which I've been considering. I am leaning on doing Aerospace Engineering as a major for sure. Perhaps I will simply take courses in physics and decide whether or not it is worthwhile to pursue a double major later.

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics?

A double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics provides students with a well-rounded education and prepares them for a wide range of career opportunities. This combination allows students to gain a deep understanding of both the theoretical and practical aspects of aerospace engineering and physics, making them highly desirable to employers in industries such as aerospace, defense, and research.

2. Is it challenging to complete a double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics?

Yes, pursuing a double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics requires a significant amount of hard work and dedication. Both fields are highly technical and demanding, so students should be prepared to handle a heavy workload and be disciplined in their studies. However, the benefits of a double major make the challenge well worth it.

3. Can a double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics lead to a career in both fields?

Yes, a double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics can lead to a career in either field or a combination of both. Graduates can choose to work in aerospace engineering, designing and building aircraft and spacecraft, or in physics, conducting research and analyzing data. Some may even choose to work in a role that combines elements of both disciplines.

4. What skills will I gain from a double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics?

Students who complete a double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics will develop a range of technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills. They will also gain knowledge in areas such as aerodynamics, propulsion, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, students will develop skills in critical thinking, project management, and teamwork, which are highly valued in both fields.

5. Can I pursue a double major in Aerospace Engineering & Physics at any university?

While many universities offer programs in Aerospace Engineering and Physics, not all of them offer a double major in both fields. It is important to research the specific universities you are interested in to see if they offer this option. Additionally, some universities may have certain requirements or prerequisites for students to be eligible for a double major, so it is important to plan ahead and meet all necessary criteria.