Solve BSOD Problem: ialmdev5.dll Stop Errors

In summary, the person's computer keeps crashing while they're trying to play a game, and the only thing that seems to help is installing new video drivers from Dell.com. They also mention that the problem may be related to the video card or DirectX.
Sully77
hey, I've been having BSOD problems lately, when trying to play a game I keep getting them: ialmdev5.dll stop errors, non page fault (or something of the like), I tried installing new video drivers from dell.com but it didn't help at all.

I attached my dxdiag, any help is great, thanks!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    42.6 KB · Views: 602
Computer science news on Phys.org
Does the game happen to be made by blizzard? Intel graphics cards (onboard) seem to have a problem with some games. Mine would do the same thing AFTER I upgraded the drivers. I had to go find the original drivers that shipped with the computer to play it.
I would say to just try getting something that can completely remove your display drivers and installing different versions till it works.

Intel video drivers are shaky at best when it comes to most games. Many different models of intel GMA chips have issues with certain games that are probably never going to be resolved.

Try totally removing the old drivers, and installing the newest version from intel (not dell). This should be what you need:http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!

If that driver doesn't fix your problem, revert to an older driver (whatever came with the PC, probably on CD, should be fine).

Might be easier to help you if you give us a bit more detail: What games cause this? Anything changed recently on your machine?

Intel graphics problems in my experience are usually just regarding a few apps, either the chip refuses to work with certain games or the drivers just need to be shifted around.

I agree with Fujjimitsu, it would be helpful to know what games it crashes on. If its a new game it could be because the memory on the graphics card is low. Or it could just be a bad driver. When I got my 9800gtx the driver cd didnt work and I had to download it off the nVidia website.

Sully77 said:
hey, I've been having BSOD problems lately, when trying to play a game I keep getting them: ialmdev5.dll stop errors, non page fault (or something of the like), I tried installing new video drivers from dell.com but it didn't help at all.

I attached my dxdiag, any help is great, thanks!
ialmdev5.dll is a file from intel video card driver.
There may be various reasons for it to crash.
Try a different driver (goto intel site and update to latest one).
Also, make sure your directX is ok. You should install an updated version of it too, just to be sure it's up to date and ok.

What is a BSOD?

A BSOD, or Blue Screen of Death, is an error screen that appears on Windows computers when the operating system encounters a critical error and is unable to continue running. It is often accompanied by a code or error message that can help identify the cause of the error.

What is ialmdev5.dll?

ialmdev5.dll is a dynamic link library file that is associated with Intel graphics drivers. It is responsible for handling graphics-related functions on a Windows computer, such as displaying images and videos. A BSOD error related to this file indicates a problem with the graphics driver.

How can I fix BSOD errors related to ialmdev5.dll?

One potential solution is to update or reinstall the Intel graphics driver. This can be done by going to the Device Manager, locating the Intel graphics driver, and selecting the option to update or reinstall it. It is also recommended to ensure that the computer's operating system and other drivers are up to date.

Are there any other potential causes of BSOD errors related to ialmdev5.dll?

Yes, there may be other underlying causes of BSOD errors related to this file, such as corrupted system files or hardware issues. It is recommended to run a full system scan using an antivirus software and to check for any hardware malfunctions. If the issue persists, seeking assistance from a computer technician may be necessary.

Is there a way to prevent BSOD errors related to ialmdev5.dll?

While it is not always possible to prevent BSOD errors, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of encountering them. These include regularly updating software and drivers, performing regular system maintenance, and avoiding downloading and installing suspicious programs or files.