Linux Distro suggestions - USB drive

In summary, the person is looking to install a linux distro on an 8gb flash drive and is considering backtrack, puppy, and mandriva. They recommend the new backtrack beta over ubuntu. They have found that it works well and has a lot of preinstalled networking tools. They are running it off a 4gb usb key and it is great.
Fujimitsu
I'm picking up an 8gb of 16gb flash drive. I'm planning on installing a linux distro on it, since I find myself using liveCDs so much anymore.

Any suggestions? I've used puppy and DSL before, but since I'm not really limited spacewise I'd like to use something a little bit more feature-rich. I was considering backtrack, since I would probably install a lot of the networking stuff anyway.. but I'm still undecided. I'd like it to work with relatively little configuration on a wide variety of machines. I've considered ubuntu but for some reason it just feels cumbersome to me, and I think that might be made worse on such a slow storage medium. Customizability and portability are most important to me, I would like to be able to use this on pretty much any machine I come across.

Thanks in advance :).

Computer science news on Phys.org
Puppy is still great - and it has packet management so you can add as many more apps as you like.
You should be able to install eg. ubuntu directly - it's just another disk drive!
You probably want to do a few things like disable swap partitions etc.

Mandriva is advertising a usb flash version of their code...look into it, you might be able to get a version free in a few months.

I highly recommend the new backtrack beta!
It works so well and has got an endless list of networking tools preinstalled.
Knoppix is a good choice as well, but from experience I definitely would pick backtrack.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

I'll try the new backtrack beta, I like the idea of not having to install/configure all the networking tools.

No problem.
If you use WPA on your wireless network, I must say be prepared to do a bit of work or simply just use WEP. I couldn't get my wireless card to work with WPA for ages (something to do with the WPA_supplicant) so I just used WEP and it works perfectly.
I'm running it off a 4gb usb key and its great, can carry it around in my pocket all the time. :D

1. What is the best Linux distro to install on a USB drive?

The best Linux distro to install on a USB drive depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include Ubuntu, Debian, and Linux Mint. It is also recommended to choose a lightweight distro if you plan on using the USB drive on multiple computers.

2. Can I install multiple Linux distros on one USB drive?

Yes, it is possible to install multiple Linux distros on one USB drive using tools like MultiBootUSB or YUMI. However, keep in mind that this may affect the performance and stability of the operating systems on the USB drive.

3. How much storage space do I need on my USB drive for a Linux distro?

The storage space required for a Linux distro varies depending on the distro and its features. Generally, a minimum of 4GB of storage space is recommended, but it is best to check the specific requirements of the distro you plan on installing.

4. Can I use a USB drive with a Linux distro as a portable operating system?

Yes, you can use a USB drive with a Linux distro as a portable operating system. This allows you to boot into the Linux environment on any computer that supports booting from a USB drive, without making any changes to the computer's existing operating system.

5. Are there any security concerns when using a Linux distro on a USB drive?

There are some security concerns to consider when using a Linux distro on a USB drive, such as the risk of malware or data theft. It is recommended to use a secure connection and regularly update your distro to mitigate these risks. Additionally, you can also use security features like encryption to protect your data on the USB drive.