What is the Chemical Composition of Epson Photopaper Surface?

• Thread starter ciarandunlevy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, the surface of glossy and semi-glossy photo paper is made using various resins and polymers, as well as coatings of calcium carbonate and titanium dioxide for brightness and smoothness. These materials help the paper to absorb ink well and create a high-quality surface for printing photographs. However, they are typically made in large batches for industrial distribution and may not be readily available for individual purchase.
ciarandunlevy
What chemical or paint is on the surface of glossy or semi glossy photopaper that makes it absorb the ink so well?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What Makes Photo Paper Glossy?

Hi wondering what makes the surface of epson photo paper glossy?
Would you know what paint or chemical they use for getting that surface?

Thanks a million Edward, can you buy that resin anywhere?

I can't find anywhere that would distribute either do you know anywhere?

Thanks for your help well appreciated

There are various resins and polymers used in the manufacturing of photo paper I don't know where to get them I would really appreciate some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
ciarandunlevy said:
Hi wondering what makes the surface of epson photo paper glossy?
Would you know what paint or chemical they use for getting that surface?

There are various resins and polymers used in the manufacture of photo paper. Some companies outsource the paper production and then put their label on it.

http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/2004/november/paper.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ciarandunlevy said:
Thanks a million Edward, can you buy that resin anywhere?

I don't think so, although you might ask around at photo shops and art specialty stores. Plus there is a polymer coating over the resin that absorbs the ink. The resin keeps the ink from penetrating the paper.

It is usually made in large batches for industrial distribution.

Another link on photopapers.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/HP%207960/page_13.htm

There are resins available that allow one to cast a photo into them. If you ever want a photo permanetly cast to a piece of rock (or anything solid) that's the way to go.:smile:

Last edited:
Paper is normally impregnated with calcium carbonate for overall brightness, and titanium dioxide for super-brightness and opacity. It is calendared for smoothness (pressing between hot smooth rolls at high pressure), and then it is coated for extra surface qualities. I was the lead operator on a paper machine that made high-density glossy papers that were used in Elle, Vogue and other fashion magazines that need perfect paper to drive ad revenue. Higher-quality publications relied on additional coatings, smooth surfacing, and hi-rez printing.

ciarandunlevy said:
I can't find anywhere that would distribute either do you know anywhere?

No I don't, sorry

1. What is Epson Photopaper Surface?

Epson Photopaper Surface is a type of paper specifically designed for printing high-quality photographs. It has a special coating that allows for vibrant colors and sharp details in the printed photos.

2. What makes Epson Photopaper Surface different from regular paper?

The main difference between Epson Photopaper Surface and regular paper is the special coating. This coating is designed to absorb ink in a way that creates a more accurate representation of the colors in a photograph.

3. Can I use Epson Photopaper Surface with any printer?

Epson Photopaper Surface is specifically designed for use with Epson printers. While it may be possible to use it with other printers, the best results will be achieved when using it with an Epson printer.

4. How do I use Epson Photopaper Surface?

To use Epson Photopaper Surface, first make sure you have an Epson printer. Then, load the paper into the appropriate tray and select the correct settings for printing on photo paper. Finally, print your photo as you normally would.

5. Can I use Epson Photopaper Surface for professional printing?

Yes, Epson Photopaper Surface is a popular choice for professional photographers and artists due to its high quality and ability to accurately reproduce colors. It is also commonly used for printing marketing materials and other professional documents.