Learn to Read Datasheets: BC238 Transistor Ic Output

• Thread starter the one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation discusses reading datasheets and specifically focuses on the maximum current output for the transistor BC238. The speaker asks if the absolute maximum rating of 10mA means that the Ic cannot be 1000mA, and another person responds by explaining the safe operating area and thermal resistance. The conversation also mentions that the datasheet for the BC238 has a maximum Ic of 100mA and a maximum collector dissipation of 500mW. The importance of not exceeding both maximum current and voltage at the same time is also highlighted.
the one
Hi , Everyone
I'm learning how to read datasheets , amd i have a question about this .
In the datasheet of the transistor BC238 , in the Absolute Maximum Ratings the Ic = 10mA
Does That mean that i can't get an Ic output = 1000mA .
Thanks .

Engineering news on Phys.org
the one said:
Hi , Everyone
I'm learning how to read datasheets , amd i have a question about this .
In the datasheet of the transistor BC238 , in the Absolute Maximum Ratings the Ic = 10mA
Does That mean that i can't get an Ic output = 1000mA .
Thanks .

If the datasheet says absolute max is 10mA (which is pretty small, BTW, must be a dinky transistor!), then no, you can't pull more than that through it. In fact, you should generally stay away from the absolute max ratings anyway -- too close to damaging the device. You should instead look at the Safe Operating Area plot in the datasheet, and be sure to look at the thermal resistance for various mounting options, to be sure that you're keeping the transistor running reasonably cool in power applications.

Thanks Alot Man .
But My Datasheet doesn't have a Safe Operating Area plot , and don't ask me How !
I'll Try to get another one
Thanks again

According to the Fairchild datasheet, Ic(max) is 100mA for the BC238.

Maximum collector dissipation is 500mW, which is reasonable in a TO92 package.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you can't have maximum current & maximum voltage at the same time... that is outside the "Safe Operating Area" and will let the magic smoke out of the device.

ya zeitghost
you are right , It's 100mA
I must have been mixed it with another .
Thanks .

What is a BC238 transistor?

A BC238 transistor is a type of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It has three terminals - the collector, base, and emitter - and is used for amplification and switching of electrical signals.

What is the significance of the "IC output" in the datasheet?

The "IC output" in the datasheet refers to the maximum collector current that the transistor can handle. This is an important parameter to consider when designing a circuit, as it determines the power handling capability of the transistor.

How do I interpret the electrical characteristics in the datasheet?

The electrical characteristics in the datasheet provide information about the performance of the transistor under different conditions. This includes parameters such as voltage ratings, current gains, and frequency response. It is important to refer to the datasheet when selecting a transistor for a specific application.

What is the difference between the maximum ratings and electrical characteristics in the datasheet?

The maximum ratings in the datasheet specify the absolute maximum values that the transistor can handle without causing damage. These values should not be exceeded in any circumstances. The electrical characteristics, on the other hand, provide typical values for the transistor's performance under normal operating conditions.

How can I use the information in the datasheet to select a suitable BC238 transistor for my circuit?

The datasheet provides a range of important parameters that can help you select the right transistor for your circuit. These include the maximum ratings, electrical characteristics, and package options. It is important to consider the specific requirements of your circuit and choose a transistor that can handle the necessary voltage, current, and frequency ranges.