PF Gets New Favicon | Official Site

• Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
In summary, there was a discussion about a new favicon on the website. Some users were able to see the new icon, while others were still seeing the old vBulletin one. It was suggested that clearing the cache may help, and one user accidentally overwrote the old icon with a new one. It was also mentioned that some browsers may not properly display the favicon due to their standards. After restarting their computer, one user was able to see the new favicon.
Moridin
Did PF get a new favicon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its the old vBulletin one for me. Possibly a side effect of the new upgrade or my unwillingness to clear my cache often.

Yes, I can see a new icon (if you mean the thing next to the web address).

I guess I need to clear my cache.

IIRC it showed for the first time here around 20:38 my time (about 2 hours 20 minutes ago), I even planned to post some comment but got distracted by something.

Guess I need to clear my cache. I don't see anything unusual.

Moonbear said:
Guess I need to clear my cache. I don't see anything unusual.

I cleared mine and I still have vBulletin. Never mind. :frown:

I still have the IE icon

IE is known to not follow standards and at some moment it was stupidly assuming that favicon is always in the same place on the server, could be it is still not able to correctly deal with it.

Shows up for me now since I've shut the PC off and then back on again.

1. What is a favicon and why is it important for a website?

A favicon, short for "favorite icon," is a small icon that appears next to a website's name in a browser tab or bookmark. It is important for a website because it helps to visually identify and distinguish the website from others, making it more memorable and recognizable to users.

2. How does changing the favicon impact the website's performance?

Changing the favicon does not have a direct impact on a website's performance. It is a small file and does not significantly affect page load times. However, a high-quality favicon can improve the overall aesthetic of the website and potentially attract more visitors.

3. Can I customize the favicon for my own website?

Yes, you can customize the favicon for your own website. There are various free tools and online generators available that allow you to create a favicon in different sizes and formats. You can also hire a designer to create a unique favicon for your website.

4. Will the new favicon be visible on all devices?

Yes, the new favicon will be visible on all devices as long as they have a modern web browser. However, some older browsers may not support the latest favicon formats, so it is important to choose a format that is widely compatible.

5. How often should a website update its favicon?

There is no set rule for how often a website should update its favicon. However, it is recommended to update it if you rebrand your website or want to give it a fresh look. It is also a good idea to periodically check and update your favicon to ensure it is compatible with the latest web browsers and devices.