How big is the SAT Physics curve?

In summary, the SAT Physics test is very difficult, and even though this person got an 800, they feel like they didn't do well because they missed a lot of questions. They are curious about the curve size, and hope that it is not too large.
adartsesirhc
Wow... I felt like I did horribly on my SAT Physics test, but I got an 800! This doesn't really make me happy though, since I know I missed a lot of questions: I'm pretty sure I got every question right EXCEPT for all the optics questions (and maybe one on fractals). I had never seen optics (I've always skipped it - seems way too boring), and between 10 - 15 of the questions were on optics. I left like 7 blank and guessed on the rest - I'm sure I must have missed most. The curve must be huge! Does anyone know how big it is? I hope the other tests' curves aren't this big, or all those good scores are suddenly meaningless.

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a fractal question on a physics exam?

I think almost everyone gets an 800 on the sat physics. At least every one I know did. It's probably because only people who like physics take it.

Yeah, there was one question that gave you five different functions and asked which one would most exhibit a fractal pattern. I guessed, since I could eliminate three of them. One of the functions was y = sin(x), and I can't remember the others.

Wait a minute... The SAT II, the test for high schoolers, expects you to know about fractals? What schools teaches you fractals?!

when in high school in the US for my student exchange, the AP Calculus book contained an introduction to fractal geometry, but it was very general and we were never tested on it.

The fractal question I had on my subject test basically asked "what is a fractal?"

I'm a first year undergraduate and I don't know what a fractal is yet..

Ha! I teach a short lesson on fractals to my Jr/Sr physics class as a "fun" thing, but I haven't ever seen it in a calculus book. Neither of my (1993-1996 era) calculus books mention them.

I don't think very many juniors or seniors know what a fractal is, let alone be taught what it is in their schools. However, the question wasn't bad - a couple of the functions were obviously not fractals, so I could eliminate those answers right away.

For those of you who haven't seen fractals before, http://math.rice.edu/~lanius/frac/" [Broken] has some examples of the Mandelbrot set .

Last edited by a moderator:
dx said:
I'm a first year undergraduate and I don't know what a fractal is yet..

dx, isn't your avatar a fractal?

lisab said:
dx, isn't your avatar a fractal?

yes.. :)

If you want to play with fractals, google "fractint" and run that program.

I've been using Fractint since I first downloaded it from a BBS in the very early 1990s and ran it on an 8088 computer...which needed quite some time to calculate many of the fractals. Days, in some instances.

1. How is the SAT Physics curve determined?

The SAT Physics curve is determined by the performance of all test-takers on a particular test date. The test is designed to have a consistent level of difficulty, but small variations in difficulty can occur. The curve is then adjusted to account for these variations and ensure fairness for all test-takers.

2. What factors can affect the size of the SAT Physics curve?

The size of the SAT Physics curve can be affected by various factors, such as the overall difficulty of the test, the performance of the test-takers, and the distribution of scores. If the test is more challenging than usual, the curve may be more generous. Conversely, if the test is easier, the curve may be smaller. Additionally, if a large number of test-takers perform exceptionally well, the curve may be smaller.

3. How does the SAT Physics curve impact my score?

The SAT Physics curve is used to convert your raw score (the number of questions you answered correctly) into a scaled score ranging from 200 to 800. The curve ensures that scores are comparable across different test dates, as the difficulty of the test may vary slightly. A larger curve means that you can miss more questions and still receive a higher scaled score.

4. Is the SAT Physics curve different for each test date?

Yes, the SAT Physics curve can vary slightly from test date to test date. This is because the test is standardized, but small variations in difficulty can occur. The College Board aims to have the same level of difficulty for each test, but the curve is adjusted to account for any differences in difficulty.

5. Can I predict the size of the SAT Physics curve for a future test?

No, it is not possible to accurately predict the size of the SAT Physics curve for a future test date. The curve is determined after the test has been taken and is based on the performance of all test-takers. The College Board does not release information about the curve until after the test date.