What Are My Chances of Getting Into Grad School for Astrophysics?

In summary, this person is applying to a variety of schools and is still unsure about their chances of getting in. The person recommends studying for the physics GRE and recommends that others consider applying to schools that they are considering. They also recommend that people consider applying to schools that they did well on on the general GRE.
renz
I'm applying for grad school this fall. I've been looking at schools and try to decide which school to apply, which is quite confusing.
I am majoring in astrophysics and also applying to astronomy/astrophysics program.
I've been doing some research about schools, looking for their profile in gradschoolshopper.
I'm still anxious about what my chances are of getting into these schools.

Here's my brief profile:
- cumulative GPA~ 3.7/4.0 , major GPA: 3.9/4.0
- i havn't taken PGRE yet, but i hope i will get the score of around 800.
- I did research at my school last summer, and i am doing a research at a national lab this summer. no publications.

school i am thinking of applying to :
UT Austin
U Hawaii
Ohio State
UC Santa Cruz
UCSB
UCSD

Any advices on my chance of getting in those schools would be great, and on what school you would recommend to be a safety school.

For others applying for grad school, what schools are you considering? and how do you choose where to apply??

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply to
Cal-tech,
MIT
UCSC
UCB
University of Arizona

I had very similar stats, 3 REUs, a publication (working with people at a top school), several conference posters, and still didn't get into the schools on your list I applied to (most of them). Of course, I didn't get anywhere near a 800 on the physics GRE - most of the people who did in my year were from China. It can be a killer - don't just assume you'll get a great score. Study for it!

Hawaii, Austin, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, San Diego... damn why didnt I go into astrophysics.

I second the advice to study for the PGRE! Study a lot. I have been studying for several weeks now. I plan to take the test this October.

After doing most of the released practice problems and talking to many people who have taken it already, I can say that the chances of getting a score >= 800 are low if you don't study.

eri said:
I had very similar stats, 3 REUs, a publication (working with people at a top school), several conference posters, and still didn't get into the schools on your list I applied to (most of them). Of course, I didn't get anywhere near a 800 on the physics GRE - most of the people who did in my year were from China. It can be a killer - don't just assume you'll get a great score. Study for it!

what score did you get on the physics GRE? and the general GRE?

Now I don't remember, but my percentage was something like 20%. And that was the highest score anyone at my liberal arts college got on it, and one of my friends got into Cornell (applied physics, they don't ask for GRE scores). I did well on the general, in the 80%+. I took it back when it had a logic section instead of writing.

I only got a 730 on my PGRE (and unfortunately a pretty average profile overall) and I got into Ohio State, although they might be more competitive regarding astro folks (then, I've also heard that astro programs don't care so much about the PGRE in any case [but you should still study like a monster]).

In studying for the GRE, is it better to go back and reread old textbooks, or focus on solving problems? Aside from looking at all the available old PGRE exams, how can one totally prepare with just a few months left?

Nothing on the test is beyond the level of a modern physics course. Go through your Intro Physics I and II book solving as much as you have time for, then refresh on modern stuff; each modern physics topic is less highly weighted, and you're less likely to have forgotten the material already!

That said, my biggest problem wasn't the difficulty of the questions outright, but the 1.7 minute per question time limit, so prepare under those conditions and you'll do better than I did. =)

What are the requirements for applying to grad school?

The requirements for applying to grad school can vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, applicants will need to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, a personal statement or essay, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT).

When should I start preparing for grad school applications?

It is recommended to start preparing for grad school applications at least a year in advance. This allows time to research programs, study for entrance exams, gather letters of recommendation, and write a strong personal statement. Starting early can also help ensure that all application deadlines are met.

What can I do to stand out in my grad school application?

Aside from having a strong academic record, there are a few things you can do to stand out in your grad school application. This includes gaining relevant experience through internships or research opportunities, participating in extracurricular activities, and writing a compelling personal statement that showcases your passion and goals for graduate studies.

Is it necessary to have a specific major or undergraduate degree to apply for a certain grad school program?

Not necessarily. While some grad school programs may require a specific undergraduate degree or background, many programs are open to students from a variety of academic backgrounds. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in and to highlight any relevant coursework or experiences in your application.

How do I choose the right grad school program for me?

Choosing the right grad school program can be a daunting task. It is important to consider factors such as the program's curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, location, and cost. It can also be helpful to reach out to current students or alumni of the program to get a better understanding of their experiences and what to expect.