Calculating Brake Power: RPM & Cycles to Nm Conversion

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for brake power and how to convert the number of cycles to RPM. It is mentioned that the engine is four-stroke and the need to divide by 0.5 due to this. The units of N in the brake power formula are dependent on the units of power. The final correction states that to compute N, it should be divided by 30 without multiplying by 1/2. The unit of brake power is in watts if the torque is in Nm.
Kalgoolie
Hi,

I have the following formula: brake power = 2(pi)NT

I also have the following figures: RPM (instant) = 3550rpm and N° of cycles over 30secs = 880.

The engine is four stroke-one cylinder. Just wondering how do I covert the number of cycles to RPM?
I have divided by 0.5 because it was for half a minute (30secs) but it seems I have to divide by 0.5 again is that because it is a four-stroke cycle?

And in the brake power forumla what is the units of N if T is in Nm.
CHEERS!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kalgoolie said:
I have divided by 0.5 because it was for half a minute (30secs) but it seems I have to divide by 0.5 again is that because it is a four-stroke cycle?

Yes. Your engine only produces work every other stroke.

And in the brake power forumla what is the units of N if T is in Nm.

Well that depends what your units of power are.

Power (in Watts) is Torque (in Newton Metres) times angular speed (in radians per second).

Since the R.H.S of the equation you quoted multiplies the speed by 2 Pi, units of speed would be revolutions per second, if power was in Watts.

Ok?

To compute :

N = 3550 divide by 30 times 1/2 = rps unit then the unit of brake power is in watts if the torque is in Nm.

Hope this will help...

Correction to my post:

N = 3550 divide by 30 = rps unit then the unit of brake power is in watts if the torque is in Nm.

What is brake power and why is it important?

Brake power is the measure of an engine's ability to produce power through its braking system. It is important because it helps determine the performance and efficiency of an engine.

How do you calculate brake power?

Brake power can be calculated by multiplying the brake torque by the rotational speed of the engine (RPM) and dividing by 5252. This will give the brake power in horsepower (HP).

What is the relationship between RPM and brake power?

The higher the RPM of an engine, the higher the brake power will be. This is because the engine is producing more power and torque at higher RPMs.

How do you convert cycles to Nm?

Cycles, or revolutions, can be converted to Nm (Newton meters) by multiplying the number of cycles by the torque produced by each cycle. This will give the total torque in Nm.

Why is it important to convert cycles to Nm when calculating brake power?

Converting cycles to Nm allows for a more accurate calculation of brake power, as it takes into account the amount of torque produced by each cycle of the engine. This is important because it reflects the actual power output of the engine more accurately.