Help get my telescope functional?

In summary, the conversation is about a missing piece from a Meade DS 114 telescope that allowed for 1.25" eye pieces to be used in the 2" hole. The missing adapter cannot be found and the person is seeking advice on where to find one. They also ask for recommendations on eyepieces for beginners and discussing alignment and magnification for finding objects. It is suggested to use a low magnification eyepiece or the longest focal length available. The telescope comes with a 25mm eyepiece.
ReneeS
I've had a Meade DS 114 for a while. My kids dismantled it and apparently a piece is missing. The focuser tube is 2"; my eye pieces are 1.25" Meade says there was a piece which adapted the 1.25" eye pieces for use in the 2" hole (which also allowed for use of 2" eye pieces I guess). My "adapter" is missing. Meade doesn't have them anymore. I tried a couple of websites and haven't found anything. Does anyone have advice?
Thanks,
Renee

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank You!

Any suggestions for the best eye pieces for a beginner? We had trouble locating much besides the moon and really big things...Thanks

Do you really mean eyepieces? It sounds like you need a spotting scope (I think that's what it's called), or you need to align the one that you already have on the side of your telescope. Aligning it is more easily done in daytime, when viewing a distant object.

Or maybe you just need an eyepiece with a longer focal length, which would mean less magnification, a wider field of view, and easier to find things.

No, I was wondering if I should start w/ a certain eyepiece for learning to find things. My viewfinder (spotting scope) seems fine, though I know I need to check its alignment w/ the main scope. Thx for reply!

Well, if your problem is with finding things I'll suggest using a low magnification. Maybe a 30mm or so eyepiece, which gives a 30x magnification on the DS 114. Or use the longest focal length eyepiece you can find.

(f=910 mm, so 910mm/30mm = 30 magnification)

p.s. I'm definitely an amateur when it comes to astronomy, so others in here may have a better idea.

According to the specs, it comes with a 25mm eyepiece. That's 36x magnification. That is enough to recognize the larger planets so you can center them in the field of view for higher power viewing. It is also a good low power for viewing deep sky objects.

1. How do I set up my telescope?

To set up your telescope, start by finding a flat and stable surface to place it on. Then, assemble the tripod and attach the mount to the tripod. Next, attach the telescope to the mount and make sure it is securely fastened. Finally, adjust the tripod legs to ensure the telescope is level and stable.

2. Why is my telescope not focusing properly?

There could be several reasons why your telescope is not focusing properly. Some common reasons include incorrect eyepiece selection, dirty lenses or mirrors, and misaligned optics. It is important to check all of these factors and make necessary adjustments to achieve proper focus.

3. How do I align my telescope?

To align your telescope, start by setting the tripod on a level surface and making sure the mount is level. Next, use a star chart or a smartphone app to locate and identify three bright stars in the sky. Then, use the telescope's alt-azimuth knobs to point the telescope towards each star. Once all three stars are centered in the eyepiece, your telescope should be aligned.

4. Why is my telescope not tracking objects properly?

If your telescope is not tracking objects properly, it could be due to a few different issues. First, make sure your telescope is properly aligned. If it is, then check the batteries in your telescope's motor drive. If the batteries are low, replace them. Additionally, make sure the object you are trying to track is within the telescope's field of view.

5. How do I clean my telescope's lenses or mirrors?

To clean your telescope's lenses or mirrors, start by using a lens brush or compressed air to remove any loose dust or debris. Then, use a solution of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol to gently wipe the lens or mirror in a circular motion. Finally, use a clean, lint-free cloth to dry the surface. Avoid using regular household cleaners or rough cloths, as they can damage the coating on the lenses or mirrors.