What makes the Evinrude Lightwin 3 the ultimate dowry for landing a fisherman?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, the Evinrude Lightwin 3 is considered the ultimate dowry for landing a fisherman due to its powerful and reliable motor, lightweight and compact design, and versatile features such as a built-in fuel tank and adjustable steering. This motor provides the perfect combination of speed and control, making it a top choice for fishermen looking to enhance their fishing experience. Additionally, its durability and ease of use make it a practical and valuable asset for any fishing trip.
turbo
Gold Member
Here it is! The ultimate dowry if you want to land a fisherman. The elusive Evinrude Lightwin 3. Three horsepower, and with mostly aluminum construction, it's only 33 lbs. It has a self-contained fuel tank and will troll for hours and hours on a fill-up. It can push a pretty heavy boat, but it really shines on the Grumman Sport Boat and other light aluminum boats. I just got this back from my buddy - he replaced the water pump and the coils, and cleaned and rebuilt the carb. The lower-end isn't rusty, that's just residue from the water in his test-barrel. He had some trouble getting parts, since the motor is almost 50 years old, but it's back running smooth and strong. Now for some fall-fishing in remote ponds.

Evinrude.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
The ultimate dowry if you want to land a fisherman.

That probably says it all right there.

turbo-1 said:
Here it is! The ultimate dowry if you want to land a fisherman. The elusive Evinrude Lightwin 3. 3 horsepower and with mostly aluminum construction, it's only 33 lbs. It has a self-contained fuel tank and will troll for hours and hours on a fill-up. It can push a pretty heavy boat, but it really shines on the Grumman Sport Boat and other light aluminum boats. I just got this back from my buddy - he replaced the water pump and the coils, and cleaned and rebuilt the carb. The lower-end isn't rusty, that's just residue from the water in his test-barrel. He had some trouble getting parts, since the motor is almost 50 years old, but it's back running smooth and strong. Now for some fall-fishing in remote ponds.

Perfect for getting a guy who's almost 50 but runs smooth and strong, with a lower end that isn't rusty, and can troll for hours on a fill-up :redface: .

oh--boy--nice, built-in prop guard even

---------

(my comment sounds a little 'odd' posted just after lisab's)

lisab said:
Perfect for getting a guy who's almost 50 but runs smooth and strong, with a lower end that isn't rusty, and can troll for hours on a fill-up :redface: .
Ooh! I think you've hit the demographic. :approve: Been trying to get Evo to pick up one of these beauties so I can get her hitched. It would help if she would stay injury-free so she could lug the motor and a fuel-can (counterbalance) down the 1/2 mile trail to Lost Pond while her new hubby follows along with the tackleboxes, rods, and cooler. :rolleyes:

rewebster said:
oh--boy--nice, built-in prop guard even
My father and I used to use this motor and a light aluminum boat in a VERY rocky pond on the flanks of Bald Mountain. Even that nice little skeg wasn't enough to protect the prop unless you hit a rock pretty much head-on, so we took some brazing rod and cut a bunch of brass shear-pins instead of using the standard steel ones. Worked great!

I've been stranded for hours because I forgot to bring extras

I miss having a boat

rewebster said:
I've been stranded for hours because I forgot to bring extras

I miss having a boat
We always kept extras in the tackle-boxes. We'd make our own from soft iron (box nails or finish-nails cut to length) and use the brass ones in rocky places for better prop protection. I got stranded in a remote part of the Kennebec River one time. I was fly-fishing and didn't bring the tackle-box with the lures and spinners (AND the shear-pins). Duh! Tied up the boat walked to the nearest road and hitched a ride back to town, so I could get shear pins to get back home. The problem was that there had been a brass shear pin in the prop, and when I beached the boat to stop and do some wade-fishing during a mayfly hatch, the skeg dug into the light sand/gravel and the contact with the prop was enough to shear the brass pin. Kind of a rookie move, seeing as I was probably 18 at the time and knew better.

Hey, that looks just like the kind of motor they have on boats in horror movies...the ones where some monster is chasing them and they pull and pull and pull the cord and nothing happens but a few sputters. :biggrin: Hopefully yours is more reliable if you're getting chased by a monster.

Moonbear said:
Hey, that looks just like the kind of motor they have on boats in horror movies...the ones where some monster is chasing them and they pull and pull and pull the cord and nothing happens but a few sputters. :biggrin: Hopefully yours is more reliable if you're getting chased by a monster.
That little rascal is as reliable as all get-out, and I can start it with a pull or two. Unless, of course, monsters are coming for me - then it would refuse to fire. Oh, wait! Doesn't that happen to teenagers who have sex early in the movie? I'll be safe.

I want this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/01/76/32/i017632sq01.jpg

So you can play video games while you wait?

Does it have internet access? You could PF while you fish.

turbo-1 said:
Here it is! The ultimate dowry if you want to land a fisherman. The elusive Evinrude Lightwin 3. Three horsepower, and with mostly aluminum construction, it's only 33 lbs. It has a self-contained fuel tank and will troll for hours and hours on a fill-up. It can push a pretty heavy boat, but it really shines on the Grumman Sport Boat and other light aluminum boats. I just got this back from my buddy - he replaced the water pump and the coils, and cleaned and rebuilt the carb. The lower-end isn't rusty, that's just residue from the water in his test-barrel. He had some trouble getting parts, since the motor is almost 50 years old, but it's back running smooth and strong. Now for some fall-fishing in remote ponds.

Evinrude.jpg
MINE- MINE -MINE!

Ok, I've bagged a Moose, I have an outboard motor. What's next? I want to be hitched before Christmas turbo!

Evo said:
MINE- MINE -MINE!

Ok, I've bagged a Moose, I have an outboard motor. What's next? I want to be hitched before Christmas turbo!
Down, Evo! That's mine, mine, mine! I'm already married and have no chance of a nice lady offering me one of these.

You'll have to haunt lawn sales and garage sales if you want one. Think retired people. Anybody who bought one of these new is now 70+. I have a friend about my age with a Grumman Sport Boat and a small Johnson, and he's been eyeing this little Evinrude for decades. His older brother taught me how to build fly rods, and that was nice, but I don't owe him THAT much. Hands off the Lightwin!

WarPhalange said:
So you can play video games while you wait?

lisab said:
Does it have internet access? You could PF while you fish.

It's a little sonar for finding the fishies.

Lisa, I think you have a great product idea.

turbo-1 said:
I have a friend about my age with a Grumman Sport Boat and a small Johnson

I'm sorry but that just sounded really, really funny. :rofl: Bad MIH!

3 hp pfft :rolleyes:. You'll never pull anyone with that. Now this is an outboard. :biggrin:

http://www.waiukumarine.co.nz/prodpics/35/225.bmp

Honda 225hp Specs

Extra long shaft (25")
V6 3.5L 24 valve VTEC
Water cooled
Programmed fuel injection
Variable air intake
Electric start
Remote control
F-N-R Gears
Power trim and tilt
60A alternator
5,000-6,000 full throttle range
Dry weight is 267kg

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:

OMG, MIH! I'm on a phone conference, with a phone that doesn't have a mute button -- don't make me laugh!

Math Is Hard said:
I hadn't thought about that, MIH. Around here, Johnson, Evinrude, etc automatically means "outboard". Maybe if he had a larger Johnson, a nice lady would try to woo him with one of these Evinrudes... :rofl:

turbo-1 said:
I hadn't thought about that, MIH. Around here, Johnson, Evinrude, etc automatically means "outboard".

Well isn't it? :confused:

turbo-1 said:
I hadn't thought about that, MIH. Around here, Johnson, Evinrude, etc automatically means "outboard". Maybe if he had a larger Johnson, a nice lady would try to woo him with one of these Evinrudes... :rofl:

:rofl: Just sprayed my sip of coke all over my paperwork.

1. What is "One for the single ladies"?

"One for the single ladies" refers to a popular song by Beyonce that celebrates single women and encourages them to embrace their independence and strength.

2. What inspired the creation of "One for the single ladies"?

Beyonce has stated that the song was inspired by her own personal experiences and the experiences of her friends who were single at the time. She wanted to create a fun and empowering anthem for single women.

3. Who wrote "One for the single ladies"?

"One for the single ladies" was written by Beyonce, along with frequent collaborators The-Dream and Tricky Stewart.

4. When was "One for the single ladies" released?

"One for the single ladies" was released as a single in 2008 from Beyonce's third solo album, "I Am...Sasha Fierce".

5. What impact did "One for the single ladies" have?

"One for the single ladies" became a global hit and is considered one of Beyonce's signature songs. It also sparked a viral dance craze and has been referenced and parodied in popular culture numerous times.

Back