Logical equivalence, need mad help.

• Thread starter seanstermonst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
He is asked to find a compound proposition equivalent to p V q and p | q, using only the logical operator |. He is given hints to start with double negation and De Morgan's law and is reminded that he will not receive help unless he shows his work and explains where he is stuck. In summary, Warren is seeking assistance with understanding logical equivalence in two problems involving the use of the logical operator |, and has been given hints and a reminder about showing his work.
seanstermonst
some of you will probly find this easy but this my first assignment after learning what a logical equivalence is so I can't warp my head around it. there are 2 problems I need help with.

Homework Statement

Find a compound proposition logically equivalent to p V q using only the
logical operator |. (Hint: Start with double negation and then De Morgan’s law.)
Show your steps.

Homework Statement

Find a compound proposition logically equivalent to p | q using only
the logical operator |. Show your steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
We will not provide any help unless you show us your work, and explain to us how you're stuck.

- Warren

I understand that learning a new concept can be challenging and it takes time and practice to fully grasp it. Logical equivalence is a fundamental concept in logic and it is important to understand it in order to solve complex problems. I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using the properties of logical operators to solve it.

For the first problem, we need to find a compound proposition that is logically equivalent to p V q using only the logical operator |. We can start by using double negation, which states that ~~p is logically equivalent to p. This means that we can rewrite p V q as ~~(p V q). Now, using De Morgan's law, we can rewrite this as ~(~p | ~q). Finally, using the definition of logical equivalence, we can write this as p | q.

For the second problem, we need to find a compound proposition that is logically equivalent to p | q using only the logical operator |. We can start by using De Morgan's law to rewrite p | q as ~(~p & ~q). Next, we can use the definition of logical equivalence to rewrite this as ~p & ~q. Finally, using De Morgan's law again, we can rewrite this as ~(~p | ~q). Thus, ~(~p | ~q) is logically equivalent to p | q.

I hope this helps and remember to practice more problems to fully understand the concept of logical equivalence. Keep up the good work!

What is logical equivalence?

Logical equivalence is a relationship between two statements or propositions that have the same truth values in all possible cases. This means that the two statements will always have the same truth value, whether they are both true or both false.

How do you determine if two statements are logically equivalent?

To determine if two statements are logically equivalent, you can use a truth table. This table lists all possible combinations of truth values for the two statements and shows the resulting truth value for each combination. If the truth values for the two statements are the same for all combinations, then they are logically equivalent.

What is the importance of logical equivalence in mathematics and science?

In mathematics and science, logical equivalence allows us to simplify complex statements and identify relationships between different statements. It also helps us to determine if two statements are saying the same thing in different ways, which can be useful in problem-solving and proving theorems.

What are some common examples of logically equivalent statements?

Some common examples of logically equivalent statements are De Morgan's laws in logic, which state that "not (A and B)" is equivalent to "(not A) or (not B)" and "not (A or B)" is equivalent to "(not A) and (not B)". Another example is the distributive property in mathematics, which states that "a x (b + c)" is equivalent to "a x b + a x c".

How does logical equivalence differ from logical implication?

Logical equivalence and logical implication are two different relationships between statements. While logical equivalence means that two statements always have the same truth value, logical implication means that the truth of one statement guarantees the truth of another statement. In other words, logical equivalence is a two-way relationship, while logical implication is a one-way relationship.