Finding High Symmetry Points for Wurtzite Structure with 12 Atoms

In summary: H3In summary, the conversation was about finding high symmetry points for a wurtzite structure, specifically for a unit cell with 12 atoms in a hexagonal lattice. The website provided a method for finding these points, but the person was unsure how to calculate them for a specific k-point grid. They were seeking urgent help and provided a link to a website that could potentially assist them.
saray1360
hi,

I have found a website in which it has described how to find high symmetry points for wurtzite structure. Here is its address:
http://cmt.dur.ac.uk/sjc/thesis_mcg/node53.html

But, as I know these points are being used for standard numbers of atoms for example in a wurtzite system we should have 4 atoms in the unit cell and if we change the number of atoms these points change!

Please let me know how I can calculate the high symmetry points for a unit cell with 12 atoms in a hexagonal lattice such as wurtzite structure of ZnO nanowires?

Thanks,
Sara

Physics news on Phys.org
The brillouin zone is determined by the lattice symmetry, not the placement (or number) of atoms in the unit cell.

What they are describing there (which "paths in k-space" along which to calculate the bandstructure), there have appeared some standards for each lattice symmetry, but ultimately it is a just a convention: We'd like to have and represent the bandstructure in the entire brillouin zone, but it is far easier to represent slices of this. Which slices are important to you, or is enough to feel like you "covered enough" is up to you or just a convention.

A similar problem you probably have seen is how one represents the electron orbitals for materials. It is just difficult to represent higher dimensional data. Usually we cut a plane (or line) through and show the densities on this surface, or show a 3-D model with the surface of a constant chosen density for the orbital.

Dear all,

It is trivial, but please let me know how I can clculate high symmetry points for hexagonal lattice. I know the points are gamma, A, H , L, M and K but I do not know how to calculate them. For example I have a k-point grid in reciprocal lattice as follows:

7.0 0.0 0.0
0.0 7.0 0.0
0.0 0.0 5.0

Please do help me, it is really urgent for me.

Regards,
sara

1. What is the Wurtzite structure and why is it important in scientific research?

The Wurtzite structure is a crystal structure that is commonly found in various materials, such as semiconductors and minerals. It is important in scientific research because it has unique properties that make it suitable for various applications, such as in electronic devices and optoelectronics.

2. How many atoms are present in the Wurtzite structure and how are they arranged?

The Wurtzite structure consists of 12 atoms per unit cell, arranged in a hexagonal lattice. The atoms are arranged in a specific pattern, with each atom having 6 nearest neighbors.

3. What are high symmetry points in the Wurtzite structure and why are they significant?

High symmetry points in the Wurtzite structure refer to specific locations within the crystal structure where the arrangement of atoms has a higher degree of symmetry than the rest of the structure. These points are significant because they can help identify the overall symmetry of the crystal and provide valuable information for understanding its properties.

4. How can high symmetry points be identified in the Wurtzite structure with 12 atoms?

One way to identify high symmetry points in the Wurtzite structure is by using crystallographic software or databases. These tools can generate a visual representation of the crystal structure and highlight the high symmetry points. Another method is to use mathematical calculations based on the crystal's symmetry elements and coordinates of its atoms.

5. What are the practical applications of finding high symmetry points in the Wurtzite structure?

Finding high symmetry points in the Wurtzite structure can have practical applications in materials science and engineering. It can help in the design and development of new materials with specific properties, such as improved electrical conductivity or enhanced light absorption. It can also aid in the analysis and characterization of existing materials to better understand their structure and behavior.