Rights: Definition & Meaning Explained

• Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
In summary, rights are a concept that people agree to in order to treat each other decently. They are not inalienable, but are a good idea to work toward.
Dissident Dan
What are rights? Most people in western society have had the words, "right" and "rights" thrown at them from a very young age. People from other cultures might not understand this concept. Perhaps we don't understand what we say exactly. How, exactly, would you define rights?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rights are a beneficial delusion shared by the bulk of civilized people. They are thought to be an intrinsic part of being human, inalienable, is the word usually used to describe them. They are actually a tacit agreement by people to treat each other decently. We all sign on to this agreement when we benefit from the decent treatment of others (at birth). While not inalienable, it is a good idea to treat them as such. It is such a good idea that it is one of the few, perhaps the only one, that it is good for people to believe though it is wrong. Someday, we may be able to handle the truth about rights, but not now. Besides, there are many other truths to be learned, this one can wait.

Njorl

What you said, Njorl, except that they are enshrined in our law codes for convenience, and in accordance with the social compact you describe they are made difficult to change. Difficult but not impossible as society changes.

I view 'rights' as my freedoms. i am free to pursue happiness, free to seek justice, etc etc

unfortunately, the term has become extended to include 'entitled to'. this is where a society begins to break down. a right does not mean that you will be happy or experience justice, etc. BUT, you are free to work for or toward your goal.

love and peace,
olde drunk

While I do question the origin (like Njorl), I take a much more scientific approach: rights are principles that when applied to a society result in peace, stability, prosperity, happiness, etc. Simply put, they are what works.

Slightly differently from Njorl, I believe rights are inalienable not because they were handed down by God (they could have been, but I don't really know), but because we have defined them to be.

The specifics of rights are the same as any other theory: you tweak the theory until the results match the hypothesis. For example:

Hypothesis: Outlawing alchohol will reduce alcohol related crime, accidents, etc.
Experiment: Through the 18th Amendment, the right to drink is removed.
Data: Crime goes up due to smuggling.
Result: Hypothesis discarded, 21st amendment gives back the right to drink.

Like all theories though, theories on rights require some assumptions...
People from other cultures might not understand this concept.
This is an important point. Though my knowledge of eastern philosophy is admittedly a little thin, individual rights aren't a concept that is as developed there as it is here. I believe that is a large part of the reason why democracy has yet to take hold in eastern countries. From what I understand, some of the leaders of China were confused by the negative reaction we in the West had to the Tienamnen Square massacre because in their culture, the good of the country is what is important.

Last edited:
I think rights, in practice, whether considered as social contracts or moral obligations, have a fundamental place; they are of the highest, *equal* priority, and so cannot contradict each other.
For instance, if I consider protection from theft as a right, I cannot consider philanthropy a right. I don’t want people to steal food from each other, but I also don’t want someone to let another starve if they have plenty to spare. I cannot satisfy both without contradiction. So I make one a right and the other a virtue (or whatever you want to call it).
There was a case where (IIRC) the Florida Supreme Court ruled that a certain religious group, who sacrificed animals as a main part of their religious ceremony, was in violation of Florida’s animal cruelty laws and could not continue this practice. The US Supreme Court overturned their ruling, citing the First Amendment. (I actually came across this case while searching for the legal definition of “religion”, which I never found.)
Happy thoughts
Rachel
P.S. I don't know why I said "I" above, but I'm too lazy to change it now- or look up that case :tongue2:

1. What are rights?

Rights are entitlements or privileges that are considered to be just or morally correct. They are typically granted to individuals or groups by a governing body and are meant to protect and uphold basic human dignity and freedoms.

2. What is the difference between legal rights and human rights?

Legal rights are those that are recognized and protected by the law, while human rights are inherent to all individuals and are not dependent on any legal system. Human rights are considered to be universal and inalienable, while legal rights may vary between different countries or societies.

3. Can rights be taken away?

In general, rights cannot be taken away, as they are considered fundamental and essential to human beings. However, in certain circumstances, such as when an individual violates the rights of others or poses a threat to society, their rights may be limited or revoked.

4. What is the purpose of rights?

The purpose of rights is to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly and with dignity, and that their basic needs and freedoms are protected. They also serve to establish a balance of power between individuals and the governing body, preventing abuse of authority.

5. How are rights enforced?

Rights are typically enforced through laws, policies, and institutions that are designed to protect and uphold them. Additionally, individuals and organizations may advocate for specific rights and take action to ensure they are respected and upheld.