Analytic Solutions to a Few Trig Equations

• Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses whether there is an analytic solution to equations of the form A*cos(w*t) + B*t = C and A*cos(\Theta) + B*sin(\Theta) = C, where A, B, C, and w are constants. One person suggests trying to solve it by expanding the cos() to a series, while another person states that there is no known analytic solution. A solution set is mentioned as a possible solution for the first equation, but it is not considered a true analytic solution. The conversation then moves on to discussing the solution to the second equation, which is rearranged and solved using a quadratic equation in \sin(\Theta). It is noted that this solution is simple and should have been thought
Dissident Dan
Is there an analytic solution to an equation of the following form?

A*cos(w*t) + B*t = C

where A, B, C, and w are constants

Maybe it can be solved by expanding the cos() to a series?

I am also wondering the same question about the following, though I believe that I've read/been told that there is no known analytic solution.

A*cos([tex]\Theta[/tex]) + B*sin([tex]\Theta[/tex]) = C

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If what you mean by an analytical solution is a finite expression using only "elementary functions" then I don't believe the first has an analytical solution. You could of course always define a solution set:
[tex]S = \{t | A\cdot \cos(wt) + Bt = C\}[/tex]
which I would consider a solution, though it doesn't tell us how to solve it.

For the second it's pretty easy. Rearrange:
[tex]A \cdot \cos(\Theta) = C - B\cdot \sin (\Theta)[/tex]
Square:
[tex]A^2 (1-\sin^2(\Theta)) = C^2 + B^2 \sin^2(\Theta) - 2BC\cdot \sin(\Theta)[/tex]
Then it's a simple quadratic equation in [tex]\sin(\Theta)[/tex].

Thanks!

The solution to the second is so simple, I almost can't believe I didn't come up with it. I guess that shows what happens when you haven't had a math class in a few years.

By analytic solution, I mean an equation solved for t, instead of a numerical method.

Don't think there is a closed form solution. You'll have to approximate it numerically.

1. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable and find its value. It is important to remember the unit circle and the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) when solving these equations.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations.

3. Can all trigonometric equations be solved analytically?

No, not all trigonometric equations can be solved analytically. Sometimes, the equation may have multiple solutions or no real solutions. In these cases, numerical methods such as graphing or using a calculator may be used to approximate the solutions.

4. What is the difference between a trigonometric equation and a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions and an unknown variable, while a trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables. In other words, a trigonometric identity is an equation that does not involve an unknown variable.

5. How can I check my solution to a trigonometric equation?

You can check your solution to a trigonometric equation by substituting the value into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both the original equation and the solution to visually confirm the solution.