Finding average power for an object being vertically lifted

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the average power required for a ski lift to raise 100 passengers with an average weight of 668 Newtons to a height of 175 meters in 60 seconds. The equations used are P_instantaneous = Fv, P = W/t, and W = Fd. The attempt at a solution involves finding the weight of one passenger and then dividing by time, rather than distance.
emilykorth

Homework Statement

If a ski lift raises 100 passengers averaging 668 N in weight to a height of 175 m in 60 s, at constant speed, what average power is required of the force making the lift?

Homework Equations

P_instantaneous=Fv
P=W/t
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this by first using W=fd to find W...so 668/175=3.817
I then used P=W/t so 3.817/60
however this answer was wrong...what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
emilykorth said:

Homework Statement

If a ski lift raises 100 passengers averaging 668 N in weight to a height of 175 m in 60 s, at constant speed, what average power is required of the force making the lift?

Homework Equations

P_instantaneous=Fv
P=W/t
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this by first using W=fd to find W...so 668/175=3.817
I then used P=W/t so 3.817/60
however this answer was wrong...what am I doing wrong?
668 Newtons is the average weight of one of the passengers.

Secondly, why are you dividing by the distance?

wow I was making a really stupid mistake. Thanks for the help, I figured it out

1. What is average power and how is it calculated?

Average power is the amount of energy used per unit of time. It is calculated by dividing the total work done by the total time taken.

2. What is the formula for finding average power?

The formula for finding average power is average power = work done / time taken. It can also be written as P = W/t, where P is average power, W is work done, and t is time taken.

3. How is average power different from instantaneous power?

Average power refers to the overall energy used over a period of time, while instantaneous power is the energy used at a specific moment. Average power takes into account fluctuations in energy usage, while instantaneous power only considers the energy used at a specific point in time.

4. Can average power be negative?

Yes, average power can be negative. This usually occurs when work is being done against a resisting force, such as when an object is being lifted against the force of gravity. In this case, the average power would be negative because the work being done is in the opposite direction of the force being applied.

5. How can average power be applied to an object being vertically lifted?

To find the average power for an object being vertically lifted, you would need to calculate the work done in lifting the object and divide it by the time taken to lift it. This would give you the average power required to lift the object against the force of gravity.