What is resistance of a DC circuit has resistor n capacitor connect parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses finding resistance and current in a DC circuit with one resistor and one capacitor connected in parallel. The formula i = (V/R)e^ (-e/RC) is mentioned, but it is only applicable for series circuits. The conversation also notes that parallel RC networks are not very interesting as the capacitor becomes charged quickly and acts as an open branch, causing all the current to flow through the resistor. The time constant T = RC is also discussed and it is stated that there is no time constant in this case. The conversation also considers what happens if the resistor is removed, with the conclusion that the capacitor will discharge immediately. It is advised to be careful when shorting capacitors in the lab.
Learner123

Homework Statement

the title says everything, any formula that to find resistance in a DC circuit of one resistor and one capacitor connect parallel, as well as the current through each of R and C (the known values are R C and V)

Homework Equations

seem to me i = (V/R)e^ (-e/RC), but it only say for series

The Attempt at a Solution

couldn't find answer in text and on any website

Physics news on Phys.org
does that mean the current won't go through capacitor branch? and that means if i want to find resistance of the circuit, it's simply R?(nothin to do with C)
and wat about time constant? T = RC? will it be the same like when capacitor n resistor connect series?

Last edited:
Learner123 said:
does that mean the current won't go through capacitor branch? and that means if i want to find resistance of the circuit, it's simply R?(nothin to do with C)
It means that after a very short time interval, no current will pass through the capacitor branch, all the current will flow through the resistor.

what about time constant T = RC, will it be zero also?

Learner123 said:
what about time constant T = RC, will it be zero also?
There is no time-constant in this case since after the initial current spike through the capacitor branch, the circuit simply behaves like a a resistor connected across a potential difference.

thanx a lot, that quite a lot info for me

Learner123 said:
thanx a lot, that quite a lot info for me
No problem. If you need to we can treat the network more rigorously, so if you have any more questions please feel free to return.

What happens if we remove the resistor so the circuit consists just of a charged capacitor? Going around the loop we get [itex]q/C = 0[/itex] so q = 0 (i.e., it discharges immediately). Hmm.

jdstokes said:
What happens if we remove the resistor so the circuit consists just of a charged capacitor? Going around the loop we get [itex]q/C = 0[/itex] so q = 0 (i.e., it discharges immediately). Hmm.
That is indeed the case.

jdstokes said:

Which is why you should be careful while shorting capacitors in the lab :smile:

1. What is resistance in a DC circuit?

Resistance in a DC circuit is the measure of how much the circuit resists the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

2. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is designed to introduce resistance into a circuit. It is typically made of a material with high resistance, such as carbon or metal, and is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

3. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store and release electrical energy. It is made of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and its capacitance is measured in farads (F).

4. What does it mean for a resistor and capacitor to be connected in parallel?

When a resistor and capacitor are connected in parallel, it means that they are connected to the same two points in a circuit, but the current can flow through them separately. This results in the same voltage being applied across both components.

5. How does the resistance of a circuit change when a resistor and capacitor are connected in parallel?

The total resistance of a circuit decreases when a resistor and capacitor are connected in parallel. This is because the total current is divided between the two components, resulting in a lower overall resistance. The individual resistance values of the resistor and capacitor do not change.