Questions About Franck-Hertz Experiment

• Thread starter PatF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hertz
In summary, the conversation revolved around a completed lab on the Franck-Hertz experiment and the questions asked by the individual to understand it better. The purpose of the oven was discussed, along with the effect of a thermocouple on the data. The relation between volts and electron volts was also questioned and clarified.
PatF
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this so sorry if it is wrong. Be that as it may...

I have just completed a lab in which we do the Franck-Hertz experiment. I am trying to understand it so I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

1) There is an oven into which we insert a tube filled with mercury. It seems to me the only purpose of the oven is to vaporize the mercury. Is that correct?

2) The data we got seems to be fine. However, we were told that there were different spacings between the peaks because of "the thermocouple." I sort of kinda know what a thermocouple is, but why would this make a difference at lower voltages? Any ideas?

3) We got the usual data which looks like an increasing sinusoid. (Good.) We measured the distances between the peaks and we averaged about .343 volts. We performed a calibration between the measuring equipment on the computer and the electrometer and we got 14.07. (OK) If we multiply. .343 * 14.07 we get 4.82 which is close to 4.86eV which is what we are supposed to get. (Good). But 4.86 is in electron volts and the .343 is in volts. So what is the relation between volts and electron volts. Is there just a simple multiplicative factor? I am not sure this question makes sense even. It just seems like magic that we hit the correct number. I am not fond of magic and I would like to know what, if any relation there is between eV and the voltage in the experiment.

Thanks for any help of constructive criticism.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never actually done the experiment, so my answers may be way off.

1) That sounds right. You'd need vapour to do the experiment.

2) No idea about the thermocouple.

3) The definition of eV is that it is the energy acquired by an electron when accelerated through a potential of 1 V (hence electron-volt). In the Franck-Hertz experiment, you accelerate electrons through some voltage, say 4.9 V. Therefore the electrons would have energy ___ eV?

Naresh
"3) The definition of eV is that it is the energy acquired by an electron when accelerated through a potential of 1 V (hence electron-volt). In the Franck-Hertz experiment, you accelerate electrons through some voltage, say 4.9 V. Therefore the electrons would have energy ___ eV?"

Thanks much. That's what I needed reminding of.

you need the heat to warm the filament to liberate the electrons. If you try to keep a stable temperature, you can assume that you are releasing the same amount of electrons per unit time.

I am happy to help clarify any questions you may have about the Franck-Hertz experiment. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, the purpose of the oven is to vaporize the mercury in the tube. This is necessary for the experiment because the mercury atoms need to be in a gaseous state to interact with the electrons passing through the tube.

2) The thermocouple is a device used to measure temperature. In this experiment, it is used to monitor the temperature of the oven and make sure it stays at a constant temperature throughout the experiment. This is important because the energy levels of the mercury atoms depend on the temperature, and any fluctuations could affect the spacing between the peaks in the data.

3) The relation between volts and electron volts is that one electron volt is equal to the energy gained by an electron when it is accelerated through a potential difference of one volt. So in this experiment, the voltage applied is directly related to the energy of the electrons passing through the tube. This is why when you multiply the voltage by the calibration factor, you get the correct energy value in electron volts.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and please let me know if you have any further questions. The Franck-Hertz experiment is a fascinating one and I am glad you had the opportunity to conduct it. Keep asking questions and exploring the world of science!

1. What is the Franck-Hertz experiment?

The Franck-Hertz experiment is a classic physics experiment that was conducted in the early 20th century by James Franck and Gustav Hertz. It demonstrated the quantized nature of energy levels in atoms and helped validate the Bohr model of the atom.

2. How does the Franck-Hertz experiment work?

The experiment involves passing an electric current through a vacuum tube filled with gas atoms. The atoms are excited by the electric current and emit photons of specific wavelengths when they return to their ground state. These wavelengths are measured to determine the energy levels of the atoms.

3. What is the significance of the Franck-Hertz experiment?

The Franck-Hertz experiment provided evidence for the quantized energy levels of atoms, which was a crucial step in understanding the behavior of atoms and the development of quantum mechanics. It also helped validate the Bohr model of the atom and paved the way for further research in atomic physics.

4. What are some applications of the Franck-Hertz experiment?

The Franck-Hertz experiment has been used in various applications such as the development of electronic devices, gas discharge lamps, and fluorescence microscopy. It has also been used to study the energy levels of different atoms and molecules, which has practical applications in fields such as chemistry and materials science.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to the Franck-Hertz experiment?

One limitation of the Franck-Hertz experiment is that it only provides information about the energy levels of gas atoms, and cannot be applied to more complex atoms or molecules. Additionally, the experiment can be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure, which can impact the accuracy of the results.