What is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

In summary, the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball is approximately 9.5 m/s, with 98% of this velocity being attained after falling 12.5 m. To calculate the velocity, you can use the equation Vi+1=Vi+(g-c^2/m*Vi^2)t and determine the velocity at intervals of 0.1 seconds until reaching terminal velocity.
guitarhero123
1. How long does it take a ping pong ball to reach terminal velocity?
2. What is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

guitarhero123 said:
1. How long does it take a ping pong ball to reach terminal velocity?
2. What is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

Hi guitarhero123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Is this a theory or an experiment question?

Anyway, show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

The Terminal Velocity is about 9.5 m/s

98% of which is attained after falling 12.5 m. (Im not sure of the time it takes to get to this)

Did you want to know the values? Or the working?

I can't help you with the working, I simply found an answer from a quick google search.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1984AmJPh..52..890B" is the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't sure how to start working out the problem.
I was given this equation Vi+1=Vi+(g-c^2/m*Vi^2)t
im not sure if that makes sense or not i think its supposed to read velocity initial plus one equals velocity initial plus the quantity gravity minus c squared over mass times initial velocity squared times the change in time
We were told to determine the velocity every .1 second until we reach terminal velocity.
I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm really lost.

What is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

The terminal velocity of a ping pong ball is the maximum speed at which it can fall through air due to the force of gravity being equal to the air resistance acting on the ball.

How is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball calculated?

The terminal velocity of a ping pong ball can be calculated using the equation v = √((2mg)/(ρAC)) where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the ping pong ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the ball, and C is the drag coefficient.

What factors affect the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball?

The terminal velocity of a ping pong ball can be affected by factors such as the mass and size of the ball, the density of air, and the drag coefficient of the ball. The shape and surface texture of the ball can also have an impact on its terminal velocity.

What is the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball in different environments?

The terminal velocity of a ping pong ball can vary in different environments depending on factors such as air temperature, altitude, and air density. Generally, the terminal velocity will be higher in denser air and lower in less dense air.

Can the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball be changed?

Yes, the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, changing the shape or surface texture of the ball can affect the drag coefficient and therefore change the terminal velocity. Additionally, changing the environment, such as increasing or decreasing air density, can also impact the terminal velocity of a ping pong ball.