Calculating coefficient of max static friction

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on the effects of contact force and surface quality on friction. The data suggests that the maximum static force increases with heavier weights. The speaker wants to calculate the coefficients of the max static forces and asks about calculating the normal forces. The response confirms that the normal force is equal to the mass of the weight multiplied by gravity, but on a slant, it is the gravitational force multiplied by the cosine of the angle.
arjfsdsr
Hello,

I'm conducting an experiment about how contact force and surface quality affect friction. I know that friction is affected by both, as my data suggests. I measured the static forces of several weights on two different surfaces, and found that indeed the max static force increased as the weights got heavier.

For analysis, I'd like to calculate the coefficients of the max static forces, and I know this is equal to (max static force / normal force), but I'm wondering how to calculate the normal forces of each weight. Is it just equal to the mass of each weight times gravity??

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
arjfsdsr said:
Is it just equal to the mass of each weight times gravity??

Yep, consider force balance in the vertical direction.

arjfsdsr said:
Is it just equal to the mass of each weight times gravity??
Yes, mass in Kg times gravity (9.81 m/s^2) will give you the force of gravity (in Newtons) that is pulling the object toward the center of the Earth.

If the object is on a level surface, than the force of gravity equal in magnitude to the normal force.

But, if the object is on a slant with an angle "theta" from horizontal, the normal force is the gravitational force times the cosine of "theta". The normal force in this case will be less than it would be on a level surface.

Attachments

• normal.jpg
    normal.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 454

1. What is the coefficient of max static friction?

The coefficient of max static friction is a measurement of the force required to overcome the static friction between two surfaces. It is represented by the symbol "μs" and is calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force by the normal force between the two surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of max static friction calculated?

The coefficient of max static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force by the normal force between two surfaces. This can be done experimentally by gradually increasing the force applied to an object until it begins to move, and then dividing that force by the weight of the object.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of max static friction?

The coefficient of max static friction is affected by several factors, including the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied. It is also affected by the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

4. Why is calculating the coefficient of max static friction important?

Calculating the coefficient of max static friction is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the force required to overcome static friction and the weight of the object. This information can be used in designing structures and machines, as well as in predicting and preventing accidents caused by slipping or sliding objects.

5. How does the coefficient of max static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of max static friction and the coefficient of kinetic friction are both measurements of the force required to overcome friction between two surfaces. However, the coefficient of max static friction is the maximum amount of force that can be applied before the object begins to move, while the coefficient of kinetic friction is the amount of force required to keep the object moving at a constant speed. Additionally, the coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of max static friction.