Quantum problem - Calculating the expectation value of energy?

In summary, the author is having trouble calculating the expectation value of energy and potential energy. He has tried integrating the wave function, but is not happy with the answer. He is looking for an alternative method and has found that the general solution to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a linear combination of stationary states. He can use the coefficients of this equation to calculate the expectation value of energy or potential energy.
jeebs

Homework Statement

Hi all,
i have a problem:

i am given a time-dependent wavefunction, Ψ(x,t), and i am asked to calculate the expectation value of total energy E(t) and potential energy V(t).
Ψ(x,t) = (1/sqrt2)[Ψ0(x).e-[i(E0)t/h] + Ψ1(x)e-[i(E1)t/h]],
where Ψ0,1(x) are the ground and first excited normalised eigenstate of the linear harmonic oscillator, n=0,1.

What i have tried is <E(t)> ∫Ψ*(x,t).E^.Ψ(x,t) dx, where E^ is E(hat), the total energy operator (the hamiltonian?). the integrals are between x = minus and plus infinity by the way.

i have been through a hell of a lot of integration (2 sides of small handwriting) and came up with an answer i am not happy with. So, my first query is, am i using the correct energy operator, E^ = -(h2/2m).(d2/dx2) + V(x), or is it something else?

the reason i ask this is because i just lifted it straight from the time-independent schrodinger equation, but my Ψ(x,t) is clearly time-dependent, so does this change the operator i need?

also, i have done the same thing for the potential with V^ = V(x), but i did not know what i was supposed to do with V(x) when it came to applying it to Ψ(x,t) to the right of it. So, i just called it V(x) and got on with it. After this was worked out my answer was <E(t)> ∫Ψ*(x,t).V.Ψ(x,t) dx = V.

So my second query is, for a linear harmonic oscillator, is there something more specific i am meant use than just V^ = V(x) = V ??

other than that, am i approaching this problem all wrong or what? I'm quite new to quantum mechanics so I'm never really sure if my solutions even resemble the actual answer. i don't even feel as if I've asked these questions very well.

Thanks.

PS. just incase, time-independent schrodinger equation:

[-(h2/2m).(d2/dx2) + V(x)]Ψ(x) = EΨ(x)

time-dependent schrodinger equation:

Ψ(x,t) = Ψ(x)e-iEt/h

the other thing was there was something in my notes about <E> that says <E> = (∑n) |an|2En that i thought might be useful here but i really don't get how to use it - if anyone could explain to me about that, if it is relevant, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jeebs,

You could calculate the expectation value of energy by computing the integral. This will likely take quite a bit of time to do, so let's look at an alternative method that you already hinted at.

First, the general solution to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a linear combination of stationary states:

[tex] \Psi\left(x,t\right) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}\psi_{n}e^{-iE_{n}t/\hbar} [/tex]

You can think of the coefficient [tex] a_{n} [/tex] as the amount of [tex] \psi_{n} [/tex] that exists in [tex] \Psi [/tex]. What this means is that [tex] \left|a_{n}\right|^{2} [/tex] is the probability of finding the particle in the nth state. This requires

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left|a_{n}\right|^{2} = 1 [/tex]

Note that these coefficients have no time dependence. This leads to the expectation value of energy (or any other observable).

[tex] \left<H\right> = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left|a_{n}\right|^{2}E_{n} [/tex]

You should already know the energies of the harmonic oscillator, so you can use this equation easily. To determine the coefficients we use the formula

[tex] a_{n} = \int_{-a}^{a} \psi_{n}\Psi\left(x,0\right) dx [/tex]

where [tex] \Psi \left(x,0\right) [/tex] is the initial wave function. You may be thinking, wait, I need to compute numerous integrals now to solve the problem. This is true but the fact is that orthogonality principles and the fact that the [tex] \psi_{n} [/tex] are already normalized simplify the work for this particular problem.

thanks very much buffordboy.

your welcome. =)

1. What is the meaning of "expectation value" in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value is the average value of a physical quantity in a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of a measurement, weighted by their respective probabilities.

2. How is the expectation value of energy calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the expectation value of energy is calculated by taking the integral of the energy operator (H) and the wave function (Ψ) over all possible values of the energy. This is represented by the equation E = ∫ Ψ*HΨ dx.

3. What is the significance of calculating the expectation value of energy in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of energy gives us insight into the average energy of a quantum system, which is important in understanding the behavior and properties of particles at the microscopic level. It also allows us to make predictions about the future behavior of a system.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect the calculation of the expectation value of energy?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This uncertainty affects the calculation of the expectation value of energy, as it introduces an inherent uncertainty in the measurement of energy.

5. Can the expectation value of energy be used to determine the exact energy of a quantum system?

No, the expectation value of energy gives us the average value of energy in a quantum system, but it does not provide us with the exact energy of a system. The exact energy of a system can only be determined through precise measurement techniques, which are subject to the uncertainty principle.