I thought protons couldn't decay

In summary, it is believed that free protons cannot undergo radioactive decay, but protons bound in certain nuclei can decay into lighter subatomic particles such as a neutral pion, a positron, and a neutrino. This is known as proton decay and has not been observed. The process by which positrons are produced in labs may involve the decay of a proton into a neutron, positron, and neutrino. However, this process is only possible in certain nuclei and requires an external source of energy.
Ifailphysics
I thought protons couldn't decay and I am pretty sure I've read it a few times as well but then with B+ Decay: p -> n + e + v

:confused:

Doesn't seem to make sense to me

Physics news on Phys.org
Right as far as I know:
Wikipedia says:
In particle physics, proton decay is a hypothetical form of radioactive decay in which the proton decays into lighter subatomic particles, usually a neutral pion and a positron. Proton decay has not been observed. There is currently no evidence that proton decay occurs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_decay for more...

Ifailphysics said:
p -> n + e + v

Free protons cannot decay this way because it requires an input of energy from outside.

Protons bound in [(added) some kinds of] nuclei can decay this way, because the total binding energy of the other protons and neutrons changes in such a way as to provide the necessary energy for the decay.

Last edited:
positron emission

Ifailphysics said:
I thought protons couldn't decay and I am pretty sure I've read it a few times as well but then with B+ Decay: p -> n + e + v

Hi Ifailphysics! :smile:

Isn't that how positrons are produced in the lab …

you take an isotope that's top-heavy in protons (most are top-heavy in neutrons instead), and just wait :wink:

p -> n + e+ + v?

1. Can protons actually decay?

Yes, according to the Standard Model of particle physics, protons are believed to be able to decay. However, the decay rate is extremely slow and has not been observed in experiments.

2. What causes proton decay?

Proton decay is predicted to occur through a process called "grand unification theory". This theory suggests that protons can decay into lighter particles such as leptons and mesons.

3. How long does it take for a proton to decay?

The predicted half-life of a proton is estimated to be around 10^35 years, which is an incredibly long time. This is why proton decay has not been observed yet.

4. If protons decay, what happens to the atoms they are a part of?

If protons were to decay, it would result in the transformation of one element into another. For example, a hydrogen atom with one proton could potentially decay into a helium atom with two protons.

5. What would be the implications of proton decay being observed?

Proton decay would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could potentially help explain the dominance of matter over antimatter and provide insight into the unification of all fundamental forces.