Help me complete this question please

• Thread starter physicsneek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complete
In summary, I'm no particular wizz at mechanics and getting stuck at d) means I'm suddenly uncertain about e) and f) :(.
physicsneek
This is from the M1 review excercise Edexcel. I've managed to do a) b) and c) and but now I'm completely stuck. I'm no particular wizz at mechanics and getting stuck at d) means I'm suddenly uncertain about e) and f) :(.

Here is the question:
In this question i and j are horizontal unit vectors and at right angles to each other.
At 12:00 a helicopter A sets out from its base 0 and flies with speed 120 km h-1 in the direction of the vector 3i+4j.

a) Find the velocity vector of A
At 12:20 that day another helicopter B sets out from O and flies with speed 150 km h -1in the direction of the vector 24i + 7j.
b) Find the velocity vector of B
c) Find the position vectors of A and B at 13:00
d) Calculate the distance of A from B at 13:00
At 13:30 B makes an emergency landing. A immediately changes direction and flies at 120 km h-1 in a straight line to B.
e) Find the position vector of B from A at 13:30
f) Determine the time when A reaches B.

The answers I have so far are:
a) 72i +96j
b) 144i +42j
c) A = 72i +96j B = 96i +28j

The answers I'm supposed to get for the rest are:
d) 72.1km
e) 60i-95j
f) 14 26

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you getting stuck at d)? It's the length of the difference between the two position vectors in part c).

d) The distance between two points d,

[tex] d = \sqrt{ (x_2-x_1)^2 + (y_2-y_1)^2 } [/tex]

Co-ordinate geometry, I assume that if you're doing M1 then you have done Co-ordinate geometry in C1 this year?

e) For this find the position vectors for both like you did in question c, then use the method in c to find the distance between the two points.

f) The question says that B becomes stationary, use the distance you find in e and the velocity of 120 kms-1 to determine the time it will take for A to reach B.

thank you so much!

What is the purpose of "Help me complete this question please"?

The purpose of asking for help to complete a question is to seek assistance in understanding and completing a task or problem. It can also be a way to check for understanding and ensure accuracy.

Why do people need help to complete a question?

People may need help to complete a question for a variety of reasons. This could include not understanding the question, not having enough knowledge or resources to answer it, or simply needing a second opinion or perspective.

What should I do if no one can help me complete a question?

If you are unable to find someone who can help you complete a question, try breaking it down into smaller parts and tackling it one step at a time. You can also try doing some additional research or seeking guidance from a teacher or mentor.

How can I effectively communicate my question when asking for help?

When asking for help to complete a question, it is important to be clear and specific about what you are struggling with. Provide any relevant context or information and ask for specific guidance or suggestions.

Is asking for help to complete a question considered cheating?

No, asking for help to complete a question is not considered cheating. It is a normal and necessary part of the learning process. However, it is important to ensure that you are still actively engaged in the task and not simply copying someone else's work.