Correspondence between between tensor product and bilinear maps

In summary, the conversation discusses the natural isomorphism between the tensor product of finite dimensional vector spaces V and W and the space of bilinear maps from the cartesian product of their dual spaces to the underlying field. It is shown that this isomorphism does not hold for infinite dimensional spaces, and there is an argument suggesting that there is no isomorphism between the two spaces in this case. The idea of using the cardinality of a basis to determine the existence of an isomorphism is also mentioned. The concept of (V^{*},W^{*})^{*} as the space of bilinear maps is also explained. The question of whether the two bases have the same cardinality is raised.
jojo12345
When considering finite dimensional vector spaces V and W over a field K, there exists a natural isomorphism between their tensor product and the space of bilinear maps from the cartesian product of the dual spaces to the underlying field. However, the text I'm reading asserts that if V and W are infinite dimensional, then the two spaces are not isomorphic.

In the finite dimensional case, one natural isomorphism between the two spaces is given by

[tex]T:V\otimes W\rightarrow (V^{*},W^{*})^{*}[/tex]

where

[tex] T(A)=\bar{A},\forall A\in V\otimes W [/tex]

and

[tex]\bar{A}(\rho,\psi)=(\bar{a^{r}v_{r}\otimes w_{r}})(\rho,\psi)=a^{r}\rho(v_{r})\psi(w_{r})[/tex] where I'm using the summation convention. There isn't some fixed range for the sums- they must only be finite.

What I am trying to show is that this mapping is not surjective when V and W are not finite dimensional. I have an argument to suggest this is the case, but I would appreciate being corrected or having my thoughts confirmed.

Let [tex] S_{1}=\{ \rho{}_{1},\rho{}_{2},...\}[/tex] be a countable subset of a basis for [tex]V^{*}[/tex] and [tex]S_{2}=\{ \psi{}_{1},\psi{}_{2},...\}[/tex] be a countable subset of a basis for [tex]W^{*}[/tex]. Now let [tex] F\in(V^{*},W^{*})^{*}[/tex] be a bilinear map such that [tex]F(\rho{}_{i},\psi{}_{j})=k_{i,j}[/tex]. There will not always be a tensor that maps to this function because every tensor is specified by a finite number of scalar components (they are vectors after all) and the system of equations one would have to solve in order to determine the components is [itex]\displaystyle very[/itex] overdetermined.

The things I'm most unsure about are my ability to restrict F as I have and how the fact that a tensor can be represented by an arbitrarily large number of components affects the last sentence in my argument.

As a side note, I am also wondering about how to go about proving no isomorphism exists in the case of infinite dimensional spaces for even if what I tried to prove above is true, it only rules out a single map from being an isomorphism. It seems to me that perhaps my argument applies to any linear map between the two spaces. However, if my argument above doesn't hold water, then I have a bit more thinking to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimension (cardinality of a basis) gives a bijection from {isomorphism classes of vector spaces} to {cardinal numbers}.

What is (X, Y), for vector spaces X and Y?

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough. I tried to suggest it in my first paragraph.[tex](V^{*},W^{*})^{*}[/tex] is the space of all bilinear maps [tex]\psi : V^{*}\times W^{*}\rightarrow \mathbb{K}[/tex] where [tex]\mathbb{K}[/tex] is the underlying field.

It's not obvious to me why the two bases would not have the same cardinality.

1. What is the definition of a tensor product?

The tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors or tensors in a way that preserves certain properties, such as linearity and transformation behavior.

2. How is the tensor product related to bilinear maps?

The tensor product is closely related to bilinear maps, as it provides a way to represent a bilinear map as a tensor. This allows for the use of tensor algebra techniques in the study of bilinear maps.

3. Can you explain the correspondence between tensor product and bilinear maps?

The correspondence between tensor product and bilinear maps is a mathematical relationship that shows how a bilinear map can be represented as a tensor product, and vice versa. This correspondence allows for the translation of problems between the two concepts.

4. What is an example of the correspondence between tensor product and bilinear maps?

An example of the correspondence between tensor product and bilinear maps is the inner product, which takes two vectors and outputs a scalar. This can be represented as a tensor product of the two vectors, which can then be transformed into a bilinear map by using the appropriate basis.

5. How is the correspondence between tensor product and bilinear maps used in practical applications?

The correspondence between tensor product and bilinear maps is used in many practical applications, such as in physics and engineering, where it is used to model and solve problems involving vector quantities. It is also used in computer science and machine learning, where it is used to represent and manipulate data in a more efficient manner.