What is the new orbit if k is halved in a circular orbit with F(r)=-k/r^2?

• Thread starter phys_learner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the conversation discusses a particle in circular orbit moving in a force field and what happens to the orbit when the force field is halved. The solution involves using the concept of energy and shows that the resulting orbit becomes parabolic. Another problem is also discussed, involving two particles in circular orbits and how they will collide after being stopped and allowed to gravitate towards each other. The solution to this problem involves using angular momentum and energy conservation. Finally, the conversation briefly touches on finding the Fourier transform of a function.
phys_learner

Homework Statement

A particle in circular orbit moves in a force field given by F(r)=-k/r^2. If k is halved what will the new orbit be?

Homework Equations

The answer is the orbit becomes parabolic but how? how does the total energy become zero as for parabolic orbits total energy=0? help please

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The particle was in a circular orbit in an inverse square central force system, so you should be able to calculate the particle's pre-halving orbital velocity. Now assume that the particle's momentum remains unchanged when k is halved to get the final answer.

I equated the given force to the centrifugal force as the orbit is circular. Then i get the orbital velocity. Now after halving k and using the fact that angular momentum is constant in central force motion am still unable to get the final answer. Help me see what am missing. How do I get equation of orbit as that of parabola??

You suggested in your original post an approach you didn't use in your second post: Energy. The total energy for a parabolic trajectory is zero. Beyond that, I find it rather difficult to comment since you have not shown your work.

In the future, please follow our template when asking for homework help and show your work in the form of mathematical expressions.

D H said:
You suggested in your original post an approach you didn't use in your second post: Energy. The total energy for a parabolic trajectory is zero. Beyond that, I find it rather difficult to comment since you have not shown your work.

In the future, please follow our template when asking for homework help and show your work in the form of mathematical expressions.

I tried like this: when k is halved, potential energy goes from -k/r to -k/2r (an
increase of k/2r) so that total energy is also increased by k/2r
(kinetic energy is unaffected). total energy before k halving K was
-k/2r. So it is now 0. As total energy goes to zero tha path is parabolic. How correct am I??

There you go. There is no need to use angular momentum at all for this problem.

Yes indeed, all it needed was a couple of bottles of beer to me,lol. Here's another problem am working on: Two particles moving under the influence of their mutual gravitational force describe circular orbits about one another with a period of T. If they are suddenly stopped and allowed to gravitate each other, show that they will collide with each other after a time T/4squareroot2. I believe that when the particles are stopped the angular momentum goes to zero and the head towards each other for collision. Maybe some energy conservation should lead me to the result. I will cry for help if I ciould not get it done by myself though hints are always welcome.

The resulting integral is doable but is rather nasty. A much easier approach: How long is it until closest approach if you cancel some, but not all, of the angular momentum? What happens when in the limit that angular momentum goes to zero?

I am now working on the Fourier transforms. Please help me how to find the Fourier transform of 1/(x square+ 4x + 13). The limit is minus negative to positive infinity so when I applied the formula the limit makes it all zero, which i do not think is the right answer. Shed some light where i made the mistake.

1. What is a circular-elliptic orbit?

A circular-elliptic orbit is a type of orbit in which an object follows an elliptical path around another object, while also maintaining a constant distance from that object at one point on the ellipse.

2. How is a circular-elliptic orbit different from a circular orbit?

A circular orbit is a perfect circle around an object, whereas a circular-elliptic orbit is an ellipse with varying distances between the orbiting object and the object it is orbiting.

3. What factors influence the shape of a circular-elliptic orbit?

The shape of a circular-elliptic orbit is primarily influenced by the mass and velocity of the orbiting object, as well as the distance between the two objects.

4. Can objects have a circular-elliptic orbit around multiple objects?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have a circular-elliptic orbit around multiple objects, such as in the case of a binary star system.

5. How is a circular-elliptic orbit useful in space exploration?

A circular-elliptic orbit is useful in space exploration as it allows spacecraft to conserve energy by using gravitational assists from multiple objects, and also allows for a variety of trajectories and maneuvers to be performed.