Why would smaller seeds be more sensitive to saline water than larger seeds?

• Thread starter rowkem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment where two different sizes of seeds were exposed to varying concentrations of salt water. The results showed that the smaller seeds had shorter radicles compared to the larger seeds, indicating that smaller seeds are more sensitive to the saline solution. However, the reason for this sensitivity was not clear and the use of a control group was questioned.
rowkem
So, we did an experiment where we exposed two different sizes of seeds to varying concentrations of salt water. The "small" seeds had, on average, shorter radicles than the larger seeds. So, it seems that smaller seeds are more sensitive to the saline solution.

I'm just a little confused as to why. All the lit. I've looked at doesn't seem to explain why such a thing occurs. I've assumed that there is more NaCl per mass unit for the smaller seeds but, that's as far as I've got it. Please help and cite sources used, if any. Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it for a bit.
If you put a drop of saline solution in a cup of water and in a gallon of water, which one has the higher concentration of saline? Even if it's a drop, the cup of water has the higher concentration in comparison to the gallon.
Same thing with the seeds

rowkem said:
So, we did an experiment where we exposed two different sizes of seeds to varying concentrations of salt water. The "small" seeds had, on average, shorter radicles than the larger seeds. So, it seems that smaller seeds are more sensitive to the saline solution. I'm just a little confused as to why.

Your confused? I'm confused by your description.:confused:
Were you exposing small versus large seeds (not seedlings) to differing concentrations of NaCl? You mention the small seeds on average, had shorter radicles. Was that compared to a control group of small seeds unexposed to NaCl? Same question goes for the larger seeds, were you comparing them to a control group?

Ouabache said:
Your confused? I'm confused by your description.:confused:
Were you exposing small versus large seeds (not seedlings) to differing concentrations of NaCl? You mention the small seeds on average, had shorter radicles. Was that compared to a control group of small seeds unexposed to NaCl? Same question goes for the larger seeds, were you comparing them to a control group?

So, we were using ungerminated seeds for the experiment. The comparison to radicle length was made between the two types of seeds. The smaller seeds had longer radicles compared to the larger seeds; given equal exposure to an NaCl concentration.

If that's teh way experiment was done it doesn't prove anything. It seems rather obvious that smaller seeds will have smaller radicles and larger seeds will have larger ones, regardless of water used. That's why Ou asks about the control group - you should put identical small/large seeds in normal water to be able to compare their radicles with these of seeds put in salty water.

1. Why do smaller seeds tend to be more sensitive to saline water than larger seeds?

Smaller seeds have a higher surface area to volume ratio compared to larger seeds. This means that a larger proportion of the small seed's surface area is exposed to the saline water, causing it to absorb more salt and become more sensitive to its effects.

2. How does the size of a seed affect its sensitivity to saline water?

The size of a seed plays a crucial role in determining its sensitivity to saline water. Smaller seeds are more vulnerable to salt because they have a higher surface area to volume ratio, making them more prone to salt absorption.

3. Are all seeds equally affected by saline water, regardless of their size?

No, seeds of different sizes can have varying levels of sensitivity to saline water. Generally, smaller seeds are more sensitive, but this can also depend on the specific type of seed and its tolerance to salt.

4. Can larger seeds also be affected by saline water?

Yes, larger seeds can also be negatively affected by saline water. However, due to their lower surface area to volume ratio, they are less susceptible to salt absorption and may have a higher tolerance for saline water compared to smaller seeds.

5. How does saline water impact the growth and development of smaller seeds?

Saline water can inhibit the germination and growth of smaller seeds by disrupting the osmotic balance and nutrient uptake. It can also cause damage to the seed's internal structures, ultimately affecting its ability to develop into a healthy plant.