Torque, finding max distance, vertical/horizontal components

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with physics homework while out of state and without their textbook. They are seeking help with understanding the equations and concepts for solving three questions involving a uniform horizontal bar, a vertical wall, a thin wire, and a mass that can be moved along the bar. The questions involve finding the maximum distance the mass can be placed before the wire breaks, and the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted on the bar by the pin at point A.
Maimunky
I have three questions left to do and its been very hard because I am out of state with the family and had forgotten to pack my physics book. I really need help on this, I can't find any examples from typing in parts of the question. If you could help me on how to solve this and the equations used, I'd really appreciate it.

1). A uniform horizontal bar of length L = 4.0 m and weight 142 N is pinned to a vertical wall and supported by a thin wire that makes an angle of θ = 27° with the horizontal. See figure 9-52 in the book A mass M, with a weight of 303 N, can be moved anywhere along the bar. The wire can withstand a maximum tension of 570 N. What is the maximum possible distance from the wall at which mass M can be placed before the wire breaks?

2.)A uniform horizontal bar of length L = 4.0 m and weight 142 N is pinned to a vertical wall and supported by a thin wire that makes an angle of θ = 27° with the horizontal. See figure 9-52 in the book A mass M, with a weight of 303 N, can be moved anywhere along the bar. The wire can withstand a maximum tension of 570 N.With M placed at this maximum distance what is the horizontal component of the force exerted on the bar by the pin at A?

3). The third question is similar to the second but asks for vertical component.
A uniform horizontal bar of length L = 4.0 m and weight 142 N is pinned to a vertical wall and supported by a thin wire that makes an angle of θ = 27° with the horizontal. See figure 9-52 in the book A mass M, with a weight of 303 N, can be moved anywhere along the bar. The wire can withstand a maximum tension of 570 N.With M placed at this maximum distance what is the vertical component of the force exerted on the bar by the pin at A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Maimunky! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Maimunky said:
… I can't find any examples from typing in parts of the question. If you could help me on how to solve this and the equations used, I'd really appreciate it.

You'll have to start doing questions without books to work from, sometime :wink:

now's as good a time as any! :biggrin:

draw a diagram, use all the tricks you know (taking horizontal or vertical components, taking moments, …), and see if anything works …

start with 1), and show us what equations you get :smile:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you find the maximum distance for torque?

To find the maximum distance for torque, you need to determine the point at which the force is applied that produces the greatest torque. This can be done by finding the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force.

3. What are the vertical and horizontal components of torque?

The vertical component of torque is the part of the force that acts perpendicular to the horizontal axis of rotation, while the horizontal component is the part of the force that acts parallel to the axis of rotation. Both components contribute to the overall torque of an object.

4. How do you calculate the vertical and horizontal components of torque?

To calculate the vertical and horizontal components of torque, you can use trigonometric functions like sine and cosine. The vertical component can be found by multiplying the force by the sine of the angle between the force and the horizontal axis, while the horizontal component can be found by multiplying the force by the cosine of the angle.

5. How is torque related to rotational equilibrium?

Torque is essential for maintaining rotational equilibrium, which is when an object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant speed. In order for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of all the torques acting on it must be equal to zero.