Finding a graduate school in physics/what research fields can I go into?

In summary, the speaker recently switched from biochemistry to physics and plans to continue in graduate school. They are interested in AMO physics and want to take a graduate course on QED. However, their college mostly focuses on condensed matter physics and they are unsure if experimentalists in particle physics take quantum field theory courses. They are looking for tips on finding information about current research and potential graduate programs and books. They welcome any advice about graduate school and recommendations of people to talk to.
inko1nsiderat
Recently I switched into physics from biochemistry after taking first semester of junior EM. Anyway I am graduating next year and fully plan on continuing physics in graduate school. In short I want to be a physicist and get my PhD.

I have vague ideas of what I am interested in but I don't know which schools have strong programs, or even really if I should go experimental or theoretical.

In the experimental realm I am interested in AMO physics. Also after learning what I can about QED and other quantum field theories I really want to take a graduate course on the subject (currently taking an undergraduate Nuclear/Particle phys course). Unfortunately my college is mostly condensed matter physicists.

And this is the problem. Do experimentalists in particle physics take quantum field theory courses or do I have to go into theory to get that education?

Does anyone have any tips for finding good information about current research in these fields? Any big named programs that I should know about? Any books people can recommend?

Any advice about graduate school in general or people I should talk to would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum field theory plays a large role in condensed matter.

As a fellow physicist, I can understand your excitement and interest in pursuing a graduate degree in physics. It is important to have a clear understanding of your research interests and goals before applying to graduate school. I would suggest starting by researching different schools and their physics programs to get a sense of their strengths and research focus areas. You can also look into different research groups and faculty members within those schools to see if their research aligns with your interests.

In terms of experimental vs theoretical, it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Both have their own unique challenges and opportunities. It is common for experimentalists in particle physics to have a strong background in quantum field theory, as it is a fundamental theory in this field. However, it is not necessary for all experimentalists to have a deep understanding of quantum field theory, as they may focus on other aspects of particle physics such as data analysis or detector development.

In terms of finding information about current research in your areas of interest, I would recommend attending conferences and workshops, reading journals and publications, and reaching out to current graduate students or professors in those fields. They can provide valuable insights and recommendations for further reading.

Some top programs for AMO physics and particle physics include MIT, Caltech, Harvard, and UC Berkeley. However, it is important to remember that the strength of a program is not solely based on its reputation or ranking, but also on the fit between your research interests and the faculty and resources available at the school.

In terms of books, I would recommend "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell for an intuitive introduction to quantum field theory. For more advanced reading, "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki is a popular choice.

Overall, my advice for graduate school in physics would be to thoroughly research different programs and their research focus areas, reach out to current students and professors for advice, and be open to exploring different areas of research during your graduate studies. Good luck on your journey to becoming a physicist!

1. What should I consider when choosing a graduate school in physics?

When looking for a graduate school in physics, it is important to consider factors such as the reputation and ranking of the program, the research opportunities available, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the location and potential for collaboration with other institutions, and the overall fit for your academic and career goals.

2. What types of research fields are available in physics graduate programs?

Physics is a broad field with many sub-disciplines, so the research fields available in graduate programs can vary greatly. Some common areas of research in physics include astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, particle physics, and quantum physics. It is important to research the specific program and faculty to determine which research fields are available.

3. How can I determine the strength of a graduate program's research opportunities?

There are a few ways to determine the strength of a graduate program's research opportunities. You can look at the publications and research grants of the faculty, the facilities and equipment available for research, and the success of previous graduate students in their research and careers. It can also be helpful to reach out to current graduate students or alumni to get their perspective on the research opportunities in the program.

4. Are there any specific qualifications or requirements for admission to a graduate program in physics?

The specific qualifications and requirements for admission to a graduate program in physics may vary, but most programs will require a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong grades in undergraduate coursework, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require a statement of purpose and/or an interview.

5. Can I switch research fields during my graduate program?

It is possible to switch research fields during a graduate program in physics, but it may require additional coursework and time. It is important to discuss any potential changes with your advisor and consider the impact on your timeline and research progress. Many graduate programs also allow students to pursue interdisciplinary research, so there may be opportunities to explore different fields within physics.