How do I calculate radial stress in a u-shaped t-beam with varying thickness?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the radial stress for a u-shaped t-beam with a variable radius. The individual is trying to integrate with respect to the radius, but is unsure of how to treat the varying thickness of the cross-section. They have attempted to use different methods, but have not been successful in obtaining viable results. Clarification has been provided through files and the end goal is to plot the radial stress as a function of the radius.
Jonny Black
I have a u-shaped t-beam, and I am trying to calculate the radial stress where [tex]\theta[/tex]=0 degrees. I have calculated [tex]\sigma\theta_{}[/tex] but I am unclear on how to treat the varying thickness of the cross-section when integrating with respect to radius.

Attachments

• scan0035.jpg
    scan0035.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,155
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey Johnny,

You have to show your work first, so we can pinpoint where you went wrong.

[tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{tr}\int t\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]
with a lower limit of a=inner radius, and upper limit of r=variable radius. For one, why is the thickness even included in the equation since it cancels anyway, and two, how do I treat the varying thickness of the cross-section? I have tried
[tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{t_{1}r}\int^{b}_{a} t_{1}\sigma_{\theta}dr+\frac{1}{t_{2}r}\int^{c}_{b} t_{2}\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{t_{1}r}\int^{r}_{a} t_{1}\sigma_{\theta}dr+\frac{1}{t_{2}r}\int^{r}_{b} t_{2}\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]
where the subscripts 1 & 2 denote the horizontal and vertical portions of the cross-section, respectively. Neither method gives viable results. a, b, and c denote radius's at each definition of the cross-section starting with the inner radius. I have found [tex]\sigma_{\theta}[/tex] already, I just need to know how to define the limits of the integral

I have added a couple of files for clarification. Also, I am plotting the radial stress as a function of the radius so the end result will include the variable "r".

Attachments

• scan0036.jpg
    scan0036.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 807
  • scan0037.jpg
    scan0037.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 707
...Anybody...?

1. What is radial stress in curved beams?

Radial stress in curved beams is a type of internal stress that occurs in beams that are bent or curved. It is caused by the tension and compression forces that act perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the beam.

2. How is radial stress calculated in curved beams?

The formula for calculating radial stress in curved beams is σr = M*c/I, where σr is the radial stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section of the beam.

3. What are the effects of radial stress on curved beams?

Radial stress can cause the beam to deform or buckle, especially if the stress exceeds the yield strength of the material. It can also lead to cracks and failure of the beam if it is not properly designed to withstand the stress.

4. How can radial stress be reduced in curved beams?

To reduce radial stress in curved beams, the design of the beam can be modified to decrease the bending moment or increase the moment of inertia. Using materials with higher yield strength can also help to reduce the stress.

5. Are there any practical applications of radial stress in curved beams?

Yes, radial stress in curved beams is an important consideration in the design of many structures and machines, such as bridges, cranes, and roller coasters. Understanding and controlling radial stress is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of these structures.