Calculating Heat Of Combustion

In summary, the conversation discusses the combustion of Quinone in a bomb calorimeter and provides a balanced equation for the reaction. The question then involves calculating the heat of combustion of Quinone in kJ/g and kJ/mol, with the answer being around 2747 kJ/mol. However, there may be an error in the question as the heat capacity of the calorimeter should have units of kJ/K, resulting in a slightly different answer of 2747.6 kJ/mol.
dcl
Hey, I need some help with the following question:

A sample of 0.1964g of Quinone (C6 H4 02, Relative Molar Mass = 108.1) was burned in a bomb calorimeter that heas a heat capacity of 1.56 kJ/M. The temperature in the caolorimeter rose from 19.3 to 22.5 degrees celcius.

(a) write a balanced equation for the complete combustion of quinone in oxygen to form water and CO2.

Ok I'm pretty sure this is right:
[tex]C_6 H_4 O_2 + 6O_2 \to 2H_2 O + 6CO_2 [/tex]

(b) Calculate the heat of combustion of quinone in kJ/g and kJ/mol.
Not exactly sure how to apprach this bit..

Q = CMT
where T is the difference in temp. M is the mass and C is the specific heat capcity, but I'm unsure how to apply this to the question.

thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
OK, think I may have worked it out..
I got an answer of around 2747 kJ/mol, whereas my book gives the answer of 2740 kJ/mol.

This may be really late, but I hope you realize there is an error in the question, as stated by you. Heat Cap. of the calorimeter should have units of kJ/K. If this is really true, then the answer should be about 2747.6 kJ/mol as you have calculated.

What is the definition of heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion is the amount of heat released when a substance undergoes complete combustion with oxygen, typically measured in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

How is the heat of combustion calculated?

The heat of combustion can be calculated by measuring the mass of the substance being combusted, the change in temperature of the surrounding environment, and the heat capacity of the surroundings. These values are then used in the equation q = m x ΔT x Cp, where q is the heat released, m is the mass, ΔT is the change in temperature, and Cp is the heat capacity.

What factors affect the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion can be affected by the chemical composition of the substance, the amount of oxygen available for combustion, and the conditions under which the combustion takes place (e.g. temperature, pressure).

Why is calculating the heat of combustion important?

Calculating the heat of combustion is important in understanding the energy content of a substance and its potential as a source of energy. It is also used in industries such as fuel production, where the heat of combustion can be used to determine the efficiency and quality of a fuel.

What are some practical applications of the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion has practical applications in various industries such as energy production, fuel efficiency testing, and environmental studies. It is also used in research and development of new fuels and materials. Additionally, it is used in the design of heating and cooling systems for buildings and vehicles.