NEED HELP A ball swung in a conical pendulum (circular motion?) question.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the speed and tension in a conical pendulum with a .30kg ball and a length of 95cm, given that the string makes an angle of 22 degrees with the vertical. The suggested method is to use a free body diagram and equations for x and y components. The next step involves using cos20 and sin20 to find the centripetal force. However, it is pointed out that the original post is two years old.
tatsalez

Homework Statement

A .30kg ball is swung in a conical pendulum whose length is 95cm. If the string makes an angle of 22 degrees with the vertical, what are (a) the balls speed and (b) the tension in the string

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a freebody diagram. do i make an x and y equation. X: ma = -mg
Y: 0 = Fn-mg + Ft

-Ft = Fn-mg I need help to know if that's right? If so what's the next step?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
To find x and y components of weight of the ball and tension in the string , you have to use angle 22 degrees. Think about it.
-Ft = Fn-mg
How did you get this one?

It was part of my free body diagram I came up with, I assume I did it wrong. mg would still be there right? Would I use a cos20 and sin20 in some equations?

Yes. Ft *cos22 balances mg and Ft*sin22 provides centripetal force.

Hi man you still need help?

It sounds like it must be circular motion. They are asking for the speed of the ball. If the trajectory were anything other than a circle, the speed would be constantly changing, as well as the angle.

What is Fn in your equation? Is it a normal force? There should only be two forces acting. Gravity and Tension. Try to find the centripetal force that causes this circular motion with your force diagram.

Hey guys, the original post is two years old. Check the date before you start putting a lot of work into this.

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum where the bob or mass is attached to the end of a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point and allowed to swing in a circular motion instead of a straight line.

2. How is a conical pendulum different from a traditional pendulum?

A traditional pendulum swings in a linear motion, while a conical pendulum swings in a circular motion. The motion of a conical pendulum is also affected by the angle of the string or rod, whereas a traditional pendulum's motion is only affected by the length of the string.

3. What factors affect the motion of a conical pendulum?

The motion of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the angle of the string, the mass of the bob, and the force of gravity. These factors can all impact the speed, period, and amplitude of the pendulum's motion.

4. How is circular motion involved in a conical pendulum?

The motion of a conical pendulum is considered circular because the bob's path is circular, even though the motion is not perfectly circular due to the force of gravity. The bob's acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle, which is a defining characteristic of circular motion.

5. How can conical pendulums be used in real life?

Conical pendulums have practical applications in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. They can be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity, to study the effects of different forces on a pendulum's motion, and to improve the performance of pendulum-based devices like clocks and metronomes. In sports, conical pendulums are used to study the motion of athletes and the forces they experience while performing certain movements.