Definition of Complex Conjugate

In summary, the conjugate of a complex number (a + bi) is defined as (a - bi) because it is an automorphism of C that fixes R. If we defined it as (-a + bi), it would not be an automorphism and would not fix R.
Jest3r
Hey all, I was just curious:

Why is the conjugate of a complex number (a + bi) defined as (a - bi)? If we instead change the sign of the real part (-a + bi), we still get a real number when we multiply the two. Is there a particular significance to the current definition?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For one thing, you want the product of a complex number and its conjugate to be positive.

a is an arbitrary real number anyway, so -a is redundant.

b is an arbitrary real number as well, he's asking why you reverse the sign of b and not a, for which i do not have an answer. my best guess is that its just more useful to define it that way.

Doc Al gave the correct response. With [itex]\overline{z}= a- bi[/itex], the product [itex]z*\overline{z}= a^2+ b^2> 0[/itex] so we can define [itex]|z|= \sqrt{z\overline{z}}=\sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex], the distance from z, as a point in the complex plane, to 0.

If we defined [itex]\overline{z}= -a+ bi[/itex], then [itex]z\overline{z}[/itex] would be equal to [itex]-a^2- b^2[/itex] and would have to use [itex]|z|= \sqrt{-z\overline{z}}[/itex].

Of course, this whole thread is a question, not a "learning material" so I am moving it to "General Math".

The formula for the absolute value of a complex number is hardly a motivating example.

Somewhere at the start of complex analysis, we said "Let i be a square root of -1", and we built everything on top of that. However, we could have picked the other square root of -1, and worked with that one instead. Complex conjugation swaps back and forth between the two possibilities.

I use the mnemonic that the 'circle' has a positive and a negative surface, which meet at the x axis, so y = +/- i

You just use an ordinary circle and say the ordinal is imaginary (fold a circle of paper in half, now it has two imaginary surfaces hidden 'inside'.

Hurkyl has a good point. Let me try to describe further.

The important properties of complex conjugation are that (1) it is an automorphism of C, and (2) it fixes R. (An automorphism of C is a one-to-one and onto function f: CC such f(z + w) = f(z) + f(w) and f(zw) = f(z)f(w) for all z and w in C; f fixes R if f(z) = z for all z in R.) Moreover, it is the unique nontrivial one (that is, it is the only one that is not the identity function). The map a + bi ↦ -a + bi is not an automorphism (if f(a + bi) = -a + bi, then f(i)2 = i2 = -1, but f(i2) = f(-1) = 1).

Proof: You already know that conjugation is an automorphism of C that fixes R. To prove uniqueness, let f be an automorphism of C that fixes R. Then f(-1) = -1. But f(-1) = f(i2) = f(i)2, so f(i)2 = -1. Thus, f(i) = i or f(i) = -i. Now for any z in C, write z = a + bi, where a and b are in R. Then f(z) = f(a + bi) = f(a) + f(b)f(i) = a + bf(i). If f(i) = i, then f(z) = a + bi = z, so f is the identity. If f(i) = -i, then f(z) = a - bi, which is the conjugate of z.

Last edited:
Good explanation, Hurkyl.

What is the definition of a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate refers to a pair of complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. In other words, if one complex number is a + bi, its complex conjugate would be a - bi.

How are complex conjugates related to the complex plane?

In the complex plane, the complex conjugate of a given complex number can be found by reflecting the point across the real axis. This means that the complex conjugate of a complex number is always found at the same distance from the real axis, but on the opposite side.

What is the significance of complex conjugates in mathematics?

Complex conjugates are important in mathematics because they allow us to simplify complex expressions and equations. When multiplying a complex number by its conjugate, the imaginary terms cancel out and we are left with only real numbers. This is useful in solving equations and simplifying calculations.

Can a complex number be its own conjugate?

Yes, a real number is considered its own complex conjugate since its imaginary part is equal to zero. For example, the complex number 5 + 0i is its own conjugate.

How are complex conjugates used in the study of complex analysis?

In complex analysis, the concept of complex conjugates is used to define the modulus and argument of a complex number. The modulus is the distance of a complex number from the origin in the complex plane, while the argument is the angle it forms with the positive real axis. The complex conjugate is crucial in defining these quantities and understanding the geometry of complex numbers in the complex plane.