Moving a 2D object to a 3D world

• Thread starter GraemeD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2d 3d
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of 2D and 3D objects in computer simulations and how they translate to the real world. It is concluded that in the real world, all objects have three spatial dimensions and therefore a 2D object cannot physically exist. This is supported by the fact that for an object to have mass, it must have volume in all three dimensions. The conversation also touches on the idea of proving this concept in a lab setting.
GraemeD
Hi all,

I like working with computer graphics so I often work between 2D and 3D computer simulations.

For example let’s say you had a square in a XY coordinate system and you wanted to move it to an XYZ coordinate system. Placing it in directly would mean that when viewed along the Z direction the square won’t exist as there is no Z information.

This is fine for a computer simulation but how would this example translate to the “real world”? Could a 2D object appear in 3D space or would it be forced to have a Z dimension making it a cube?

Thanks for any input that you can provide and I hope I posted this question in the correct forum.

Thanks,

Graeme

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the "real world" everything has three spatial dimensions... so no, your 2D square couldn't physically exist. The best you could do is to give it a very small depth (like a piece of paper, which has this depth compared to it's width and height).

Does this answer your question?

-Kerry

KLoux said:
Does this answer your question?
Yes it does, thank you

So I can gain a better understanding do you have any information or links that explains this in more detail? I assume that in theory a 2D object cannot exist in a 3D world but what proof do we have. As I assume this is not something we can prove in a lab somewhere.

What kind of proof are you looking for? An equation? Here's a quick attempt...

The foundation of this proof is that in order for any object to physically exist (so you can touch it or hold it in your hand) it must have mass.

In order for it to have mass, it must have density and volume.

The volume is an integral over three spatial dimensions. If anyone of those dimensions is zero, then you end up with and integral over two dimensions times the third dimension (zero). The volume of a 2D object is zero.

Zero volume times any density gives you zero mass.

Zero mass -> no object.

-Kerry

1. How do you move a 2D object to a 3D world?

To move a 2D object to a 3D world, you will need to use transformation techniques such as rotation, scaling, and translation. These transformations can be applied to the object's coordinates in order to change its position and orientation in 3D space.

2. Can any 2D object be moved to a 3D world?

Technically, any 2D object can be moved to a 3D world through transformations. However, the resulting object may not look realistic or may not serve its intended purpose in a 3D environment. It is important to carefully consider the object's shape, size, and purpose before attempting to move it to a 3D world.

3. What is the difference between a 2D and 3D world?

A 2D world only has two dimensions (length and width), while a 3D world has three dimensions (length, width, and height). This means that objects in a 3D world can have depth and can be viewed from multiple angles, while objects in a 2D world are flat and can only be viewed from one angle.

4. Are there any limitations when moving a 2D object to a 3D world?

Yes, there are some limitations when moving a 2D object to a 3D world. For example, the object may lose its visual clarity or may not be able to interact with other 3D objects properly. It is important to consider these limitations and find ways to overcome them in order to successfully move a 2D object to a 3D world.

5. How can moving a 2D object to a 3D world benefit scientific research?

Moving a 2D object to a 3D world can provide a more realistic and immersive environment for scientific research. This can help scientists better understand and visualize complex data, processes, and phenomena. Additionally, it can also allow for more accurate simulations and predictions, leading to advancements in various fields of science.