PMOS Working Concept: Vgs (th) -5V Source Follower Mode Output

In summary, the conversation is about making a PMOS work by giving a negative Vgs (th) value. The speaker shares their experience with using -5V for the source and getting an output, but asks for clarification on how and why this works. The other speaker requests a circuit diagram and clarification on whether PMOS or JFETs are being used. The original speaker provides a sample PMOS circuit and clarifies that they are using a PMOS FET. The expert summarizer explains that the reason for getting an output is because the gate and source are tied to -5 volts with respect to ground, but not the source.
hemant03
Hi,
I believe that to make a PMOS work, Vgs (th) needs to be negative but when I give -5V to source and connect it in a source follower mode i.e. vg = -5V, I do get an output.
Can anyone tell me how and why?

Thanks,
- Hemant

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. Can you post a circuit diagram.

2. Can you make it clear whether you are using mosfets or jfets.

Last edited:
uart said:
1. Can you post a circuit diagram.

2. Can you make it clear whether you are using mosfets or jfets.

Hi,
I have attached a sample PMOS circuitry that I have simulated. I am actually using a PMOS FET.

Attachments

• PMOS.JPG
    PMOS.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 392
Thats because you shorted the gate and the source together. They are tied to -5 Volts with respect to ground but not -5 volts with respect to source.

What is the working concept of PMOS?

The working concept of PMOS (p-type metal-oxide-semiconductor) is based on the use of a p-type channel and an n-type substrate. The p-type channel is created by doping the substrate with p-type impurities, and it is separated from the substrate by a thin layer of oxide. When a voltage is applied to the gate, it creates an electric field that attracts minority charge carriers (electrons) to the surface of the p-type channel, allowing for the flow of current.

What is Vgs (th) in PMOS?

Vgs (th) stands for threshold voltage for gate-source, which is the minimum voltage required to create an inversion layer in the p-type channel and start the flow of current. In PMOS, this voltage is typically negative, meaning that the gate must be at a lower potential than the source for the transistor to turn on.

How does PMOS work in source follower mode?

In source follower mode, the PMOS transistor acts as a voltage buffer, with the source connected to the output and the drain connected to the input. When a voltage is applied to the gate, it creates an inversion layer in the p-type channel, allowing for the flow of current from the source to the drain. However, the output voltage will be slightly lower than the input voltage due to the voltage drop across the channel.

What happens if the gate voltage is lower than the threshold voltage?

If the gate voltage is lower than the threshold voltage, the transistor will not turn on and no current will flow from the source to the drain. This is because there is not enough energy to create an inversion layer in the p-type channel and attract minority charge carriers.

What is the output voltage in source follower mode?

In source follower mode, the output voltage will be slightly lower than the input voltage due to the voltage drop across the channel. The exact output voltage will depend on the characteristics of the transistor, such as the threshold voltage and the channel resistance.