Trigonometric function with specific properties

In summary: Thanks!In summary, there is no solution for f(theta) except f(theta)=0 for the given conditions, as any trigonometric function that satisfies the given conditions results in f(theta) being equal to zero for all values of theta. Options such as tan(x) and sin(x) do not satisfy the given conditions as they result in a non-zero value for f(theta).
Physicslad78
Is there any trigonometric function f(theta) where theta is an angle such that

f(Pi-theta)=-f(theta) and such that its square (i.e f(theta)^2) is maximum at Pi/2?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
try theta = PI/2

then f(PI-(PI/2)) = f(PI/2)

so:

if f(PI-theta)=-f(theta) for all theta, then f(PI/2) must equal zero.

and you also said that:

f(PI/2)^2 is its maximum. but f(PI/2)^2 is 0.

so f(theta) = zero, for all theta. A boring and useless function.

edit: Presuming f(theta) cannot be infinite

Last edited:
Hi Physicslad78! Hi Georgepowell! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ :wink:)
Physicslad78 said:
Is there any trigonometric function f(theta) where theta is an angle such that

f(Pi-theta)=-f(theta) and such that its square (i.e f(theta)^2) is maximum at Pi/2?
Georgepowell said:
if f(PI-theta)=-f(theta) for all theta, then f(PI/2) must equal zero.

It depends exacty what the question envisages …

if f is allowed to be infinite at π/2, then you could have f(π/2)- = -f(π/2)+ = ±∞ :wink:

if f is allowed to be infinite at π/2, then you could have f(π/2)- = -f(π/2)+ = ±∞ :wink:

Ahh, I missed that. How about the tan() function then?

Thanks a lot guys..f cannot be infinite as it is a wave function in a physics system I am researching on..I just wanted to make sure that there aint any solutions except the f(theta)=0 as tiny-tim pointed out..Thanks again...

Wait... what about sin(x)?

sin(Pi-theta) = sin(PI)cos(theta) - sin(theta)cos(pi) = -sin(theta)

And [sin(x)]^2 has local maxima at PI/2 + nPI.

Am I missing something?

AUMathTutor said:
Wait... what about sin(x)?

sin(Pi-theta) = sin(PI)cos(theta) - sin(theta)cos(pi) = -sin(theta)

And [sin(x)]^2 has local maxima at PI/2 + nPI.

Am I missing something?

Yup! … cosπ = minus 1 :wink:

oops. lol.

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

2. What are the specific properties of trigonometric functions?

The specific properties of trigonometric functions include periodicity, amplitude, and phase shift. Periodicity refers to the repetition of values for a function, amplitude is the maximum value of the function, and phase shift is the horizontal translation of the function.

3. How are trigonometric functions used in real-world applications?

Trigonometric functions are used in various real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate distances, angles, and heights, as well as to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the unit circle and its relation to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. The unit circle is used to define the trigonometric functions and their values for any angle in standard position. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle corresponds to the cosine value, and the y-coordinate corresponds to the sine value.

5. How can trigonometric functions be graphed?

Trigonometric functions can be graphed by plotting points on a coordinate plane using the values from the unit circle or by using a graphing calculator. The graph of a trigonometric function will have a repeating pattern due to its periodicity, and the amplitude and phase shift will affect the shape and position of the graph.