Is 1/16 Inch Thick Square Tubing Strong Enough for a Motorcycle Trailer?

In summary, the conversation is about building a motorcycle trailer with specific weight requirements. The person is asking for resources to help them determine the weight their trailer can hold and how to post a picture of their design. They receive advice on exporting their design from AutoCAD and are reminded to consider factors such as acceleration and safety when designing the trailer. Finally, they receive feedback on the thickness of their square tubing and are advised to provide more information on the material to get accurate calculations.
antzgarcia
I am building a motorcycle trailer. I have 2 x 2 square tubing that is about 1/16 thick and it will be about 6 and 1/2 foot long the trailer will need to hold 433 that is how much my motorcycle weighs. Does any know of a site or somewere that I may find this information so that I can start on it. i just need to find out the weight that it will hold please post a site if you know one thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
please does someone know were i can find out this information.

If you draw us a picture, it might be quit helpful. In fact, you'll probably get some very useful information and numbers with a decent picture.

how would i post a picture the only drawings I have are in auto CAD?

antzgarcia said:
how would i post a picture the only drawings I have are in auto CAD?

CTRL + SHIFT + PRNT SCRN (takes a snapshot of your screen)

paste into MS paint and save as a JPEG

Or I believe you can just straight export to a picture file. I haven't used AutoCad in years, but most solid modelers will let you export to a variety of image formats.

or print it to a PDF and post it here.

Keep in mind that the weight on the trailer will not just be the static weight of the bike, since while you're driving the bike will be subject to accelerations of perhaps 2-3g's. You'll want the trailer to be designed with a significant built-in safety factor. You'll also need to know more about the tubing you're using, specifically what material it is ("steel" won't be specific enough).

antzgarcia: I agree with mooktank except only press Alt + PrtSc; then paste to Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint (which is MS Paint), and save as a .png file. (jpeg is for photographs; png is for graphics.)

A dynamic amplification factor of 3 sounds good, probably. If you don't know more about your steel tube material, we could assume mild steel.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 619
  • Untitled 3.jpg
    Untitled 3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 463
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 547
antzgarcia: I notice the half axle you are using is also a shock absorber. I think the minimum dynamic amplification we should use is daf = 2.50. And I think the minimum yield factor of safety we could use is FS = 1.70. We will see if anyone disagrees. Therefore, your square tube wall thickness is too thin for the rear beam spanning across your trailer. Using the above minimum factors and mild steel, you would need a rear beam wall thickness of t = 6.35 mm. However, using daf = 3.0 and FS = 2.0 would give you a rear beam wall thickness of t = 12.7 mm. If you could state the material specification of your square tubes, it might affect the answers.

What is the strength of square tubing?

The strength of square tubing is determined by its material, size, and wall thickness. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (PSI) or kilopounds per square inch (KSI).

How is the strength of square tubing calculated?

The strength of square tubing is calculated using the formula: Strength = Yield Strength x Cross-sectional Area. The yield strength is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it begins to deform permanently.

What are the common materials used for square tubing?

The most common materials used for square tubing are steel, aluminum, and stainless steel. Each material has different strengths and properties that make them suitable for different applications.

What is the difference between yield strength and tensile strength?

Yield strength is the maximum stress a material can withstand before it permanently deforms, while tensile strength is the maximum stress a material can withstand before it breaks. In other words, yield strength measures a material's ability to return to its original shape after being stressed, while tensile strength measures its ability to resist breaking under stress.

How does the size and wall thickness of square tubing affect its strength?

The size and wall thickness of square tubing play a significant role in its strength. Generally, larger and thicker tubing will have a higher strength due to a larger cross-sectional area and more material to resist deformation. However, the specific material and manufacturing process also play a role in determining the strength of square tubing.