Short Distance Wireless Power System

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, Graham is working on a wireless power system and has looked into resonant air core transformers. He found that a low impedance link loosely coupled to a parallel tuned circuit above the table could work. He also tried winding 10 turns of wire on a 2 inch former and another 12 turns of wire about 2 inches away and found that with about 100 pF total across the 12 turn secondary, it resonated at about 15 MHz. This seemed to be about the best arrangement. The voltage across the tuned circuit was then about 1/3rd of that across the primary.
GrahamA
Hello,

I am working on building a wireless power system, I have looked into it a bit and the best if not only way seems to be a resonant air core transformer.

My primary coil/circuitry can really be infinite in dimension, but my secondary coil needs to be no more than 2 inches in diameter but could be equally as thick.

I am only looking to transfer power about 1-2 inches as well, basically through a table.

My draw out of the transformer is going to be 14 V, to be used in another circuit to power some LEDs etc.

I will update you on my progress, but any links, formulae, or other help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can choose your frequency and drive impedance, a low impedance link below the table loosely coupled to a parallel tuned circuit above the table seems possible.

It will be quite inefficient but given enough drive power, you might be able to get enough out.

It would be a case of empirical design, though... ie build it and see what happens. :)
The link below the table could have a series capacitor to tune out any reactance.

Just for you, I tried winding 10 turns of wire on a 2 inch former and another 12 turns of wire about 2 inches away.
With about 100 pF total across the 12 turn secondary, it resonated at about 15 MHz. This seemed to be about the best arrangement. The voltage across the tuned circuit was then about 1/3rd of that across the primary. Pretty inefficient coupling, but maybe good enough.
You would need to develop about 60 volts peak to peak across such a primary to be able to run LEDs off the secondary. I haven't done this, so I can't be sure.

You could try putting variable capacitance in series with the primary to get a voltage step-up if your signal source is low impedance.

Adding ferrite as a core only helped if the ferrite went through both coils, so this would not be possible in your case.

Fascinating project, though.

Hello Graham,

Thank you for sharing your project with me. A short distance wireless power system using a resonant air core transformer is a fascinating idea. This type of system has the potential to revolutionize the way we transfer power and eliminate the need for wires and cables.

One important consideration in designing your system will be efficiency. With a short distance of only 1-2 inches, it will be crucial to optimize the design of your coils and circuitry to minimize energy loss. I recommend looking into the Q factor of your resonant circuit, as it will directly affect the efficiency of power transfer.

In terms of formulas, the resonant frequency of your circuit can be calculated using the formula f=1/(2π√LC), where L is the inductance of your coils and C is the capacitance of your circuit. You may also want to look into the concept of impedance matching to ensure maximum power transfer between the coils.

I am excited to hear about your progress and am happy to provide any further assistance or resources that may be helpful. Best of luck with your project!

Sincerely,

1. What is a Short Distance Wireless Power System?

A Short Distance Wireless Power System is a technology that enables the transfer of electrical energy wirelessly over a short distance, typically a few feet or meters. It uses electromagnetic fields to transfer power between two devices without the need for physical wires or connections.

2. How does a Short Distance Wireless Power System work?

A Short Distance Wireless Power System works by using two main components: a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter creates an electromagnetic field, which is received by the receiver and converted back into electrical energy. This energy can then be used to power a device or charge a battery.

3. What are the benefits of using a Short Distance Wireless Power System?

There are several benefits to using a Short Distance Wireless Power System. It eliminates the need for messy and potentially hazardous wires, offers convenience and flexibility for charging or powering devices, and reduces the risk of damage or wear to charging ports on devices.

4. What are the limitations of a Short Distance Wireless Power System?

One limitation of a Short Distance Wireless Power System is the relatively short distance over which power can be transferred. This technology is best suited for use within a few feet or meters. Additionally, the efficiency of power transfer can be affected by obstacles or interference in the environment.

5. How is a Short Distance Wireless Power System different from long-distance wireless power systems?

A Short Distance Wireless Power System is designed for use over a relatively short distance, whereas long-distance wireless power systems are capable of transferring power over much larger distances, such as several miles. Long-distance wireless power systems also require more complex technology and infrastructure in order to function effectively.