Structures & Materials - Cranes and Steel Cable

In summary, a crane arm is a truss structure made of thin steel beams and strong steel cables. The cables are made of multiple strands of steel plaited together, making them almost perfectly elastic and able to carry heavy loads. The triangular shape of the truss structure and the load-sharing ability of the cables contribute to its strength. Elasticity refers to the cable's ability to stretch uniformly under load, similar to a spring.
codz30

Homework Statement

A crane consists of a crane arm which is held in place and moved by strong steel cables.
The crane arm is a truss structure, which is a rigid framework of quite thin steel beams welded together, forming many triangles.
The cables are made of steel and they are not one piece but consist of many thin strands of steel plaited together, in a way similar to most ropes. The cables carry very heavy loads but fortunatley they are almost perfectly elastic.

i) What is one reason that a truss structure like this is nearly as strong as a solid beam of about the same size?
ii) Why is the cable made of thin strands plaited into one thick cable stronger than a cable made of solid steel?
iii) Explain the meaning of 'elastic' with reference to the cable.

The Attempt at a Solution

i) The shape of the structurem using triangles, spreads out the load. Triangles are strong structures.

ii) Because the steel cables share the load better.

iii) It means the cables can spring back into shape.

I don't really think my explanations are correct, but it's the best I can think of.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the cross sectional area for a beam? What about the weight of trussed lattice versus say a solid beam?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_(structure )

Elastic suggests that it stretches uniformly depending on load doesn't it? Like a spring?

Last edited by a moderator:

Your explanations are on the right track, but let me provide some additional insights:

i) A truss structure is nearly as strong as a solid beam because it distributes and redirects the forces acting on it through the use of triangular shapes. These shapes are inherently strong and stable, allowing the structure to support heavy loads without collapsing. Additionally, the use of thin steel beams in a truss structure allows for a lightweight yet strong design, making it an efficient choice for cranes.

ii) The cable made of thin strands plaited into one thick cable is stronger than a cable made of solid steel because of the principle of load sharing. When a load is applied to the cable, the individual strands work together to distribute the load evenly, preventing any one strand from bearing the full weight. This increases the overall strength and durability of the cable.

iii) In this context, "elastic" refers to the ability of the steel cable to stretch and deform under a load, but then return to its original shape once the load is removed. This is important for cranes as they often need to lift and lower heavy loads repeatedly. The elastic nature of the cable allows it to withstand these repeated stresses without becoming permanently deformed or breaking.

1. What are cranes used for?

Cranes are used to lift and move heavy objects or materials from one location to another. They are commonly used in construction sites, shipping ports, and factories.

2. How do cranes work?

Cranes use a combination of structural components and mechanical systems to lift and move objects. The main parts of a crane include a boom, counterweights, cables or chains, and a motor or engine to power the movement.

3. What materials are cranes made of?

Cranes are typically made of steel, which is known for its strength and durability. The structural components such as the boom, jib, and counterweights are made of steel, while the cables or chains may be made of steel or other strong materials such as synthetic fibers.

4. What are the advantages of using steel cable in cranes?

Steel cable is preferred for cranes due to its high strength-to-weight ratio, which allows for heavier loads to be lifted. It is also flexible and can withstand extreme weather conditions, making it ideal for outdoor use. Additionally, steel cable is relatively low maintenance and has a longer lifespan compared to other materials.

5. Are there safety precautions for operating cranes?

Yes, there are strict safety precautions that must be followed when operating cranes to prevent accidents and injuries. This includes proper training and certification for crane operators, regular inspections and maintenance of the crane, and following safety protocols such as using proper signals and load limits.