Need help with a Statically Indeterminate System

In summary, the problem involves three steel bars that are pin-connected to a rigid member K. The goal is to determine the force developed in each bar and the load carried by each of the tension members, as well as the elongation of each member. The given information includes the areas and elastic moduli of the bars. By setting up equations using the moment and sum of forces, the forces in each bar can be expressed in terms of the elongation of that specific bar. However, due to the nature of the problem, it is unclear how the bars are being pulled and further information is needed to solve for the unknown variables.
TA1068

Homework Statement

Three steel bars are pin-connected to a rigid member K. Determine the force developed in each bar. Determine the load carried be each of the tension members and the elongation of each member

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6850/problemdiagram.jpg

Known:
[tex]A_A_B[/tex] = 0.10 in^2
[tex]E_A_B[/tex] = 30E6 psi
[tex]A_C_D[/tex] = 0.20 in^2
[tex]E_C_D[/tex] = 15E6 psi
[tex]A_F_H[/tex] = 0.30 in^2
[tex]E_F_H[/tex] = 10E6 psi

Homework Equations

[tex]\delta[/tex] = (PL) / (AE)

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the moment about B:
10[tex]P_C_D[/tex] + 20[tex]P_F_H[/tex] = 15(15000)
or
[tex]P_F_H[/tex] = 7500 - (1/3)[tex]P_C_D[/tex]

The equation [tex]\delta[/tex] = (PL) / (AE) yields:
[tex]P_A_B[/tex] = 150,000[tex]\delta_A_B[/tex]
[tex]P_C_D[/tex] = 200,000[tex]\delta_C_D[/tex]
[tex]P_F_H[/tex] = 300,000[tex]\delta_F_H[/tex]

And the sum of forces in the Y direction gives:
[tex]P_A_B[/tex] + [tex]P_C_D[/tex] + [tex]P_F_H[/tex] = 15000

This is where I'm stuck. If any point along K was fixed it would be easy; K is rigid, so then the distance from the fixed point can be turned into a ratio to find the other [tex]\delta[/tex] values. I think all 3 points (B, D, and H) are pulled downward, but I'm not sure what there relation is to each other. Any clues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yikes, I think my TEX tags are all messed up. Not sure how to fix it, let me know if you have any questions!

Now if it was something like this:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8167/fixedpoint.jpg
I would say sigma_CD = 10(theta) and sigma_FH = 30(theta) and all would be good.

But since it's like this:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9023/nonfixedpoint.jpg
I have another variable in there with x. Now sigma_AB = (x)(theta), sigma_CD = (10+x)(theta), and sigma_FH = (30+x)(theta)

Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a statically indeterminate system?

A statically indeterminate system is a structural system in which the number of unknown reactions or internal forces is greater than the number of available equations of equilibrium. This means that the system cannot be solved using traditional methods of structural analysis.

2. What are some examples of statically indeterminate systems?

Examples of statically indeterminate systems include continuous beams, trusses with more than three members, and frames with more than three unknown support reactions. These systems are commonly found in real-world structures, such as buildings, bridges, and cranes.

3. How do you determine the degree of statical indeterminacy of a system?

The degree of statical indeterminacy of a system can be determined by using the equation: Degree of Indeterminacy = Number of Unknown Reactions - Number of Equations of Equilibrium. If the result is greater than zero, the system is statically indeterminate.

4. How can a statically indeterminate system be solved?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a statically indeterminate system, including the method of consistent deformations, slope-deflection method, and moment distribution method. These methods use additional compatibility equations to solve for the unknown reactions and internal forces.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using statically indeterminate systems?

The main advantage of using statically indeterminate systems is that they can distribute loads more efficiently and reduce the amount of material needed for a structure. However, these systems can be more complex to analyze and design, and they may require more advanced techniques and calculations.