Piezoelectric Strips - Where to Buy for Experiments

In summary: HaegheBaertIn summary, the individuals in this conversation are discussing experiments with creating electricity from piezoelectric materials. They are looking for materials that are easily bendable and cheap, and sources to purchase them from. One person suggests buying piezo actuators from a specific website, while another mentions using polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) film to create a simple sensor or generator. They also discuss the thickness and bonding of the PVDF film and request for more information or diagrams from the person who has experience with this method. Finally, multiple individuals ask for a paper or more information about the setup and method of using piezoelectric materials for generating electricity.
Kalagaraz
I'm wanting to do some experiments with creating electricity from piezoelectric materials but I'm not sure where I can buy some. I'm looking for some materials that are easily bendable like paper and preferably cheap as I have several experiments I'd like to try.

If anyone knows a good material and source to buy it, I'd love to hear it! Thanks in advanced!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure if this would help, but we bought piezo actuators from http://www.faceinternational.com/. If they don't have anything that may help you, they might be able to recommend another source.

Goodfellow will sell you polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) which is a very thin piezoelectric film. You can cut small disks with a hole punch, place it in a similar hole in an insulating material and use small strips of conductive copper tape on either side of the disk to form a simple sensor or generator. When you apply a dynamic stress to the sensor, you'll generate a charge between the two ends of the circuit.

If you want a bit more information let me know and I can send you a paper describing it, or more usefully I can draw you a diagram of how I made mine.

could this PVDF film be of the order of 100µm thin? is it easily bondable with glass?

I used metallised 25 µm biaxial sheet. I don't know about bonding with glass, never tried. I used Mylar PET sheet of the same thickness as an insulating and protective substrate. That way I ended up with a very thin, flexible load cell.

@timmay...can u pls send me the exact schematic daig. showing the process of ur piezo electric strip...and i would be gratefull if u would let me know wer did u buy those...plsssss...and if possible pls do mail it to me @ 94yashwanth@gmail.com

@timmay...Could you please send me a paper describing your setup to csr_groups@yahoo.com? I was working on a design to generate electricity and wanted to try this method as well.

Regards,
CSR

Also @ timmay Hi, I'm also interested in your paper, perhaps it's also possible to send it to me: jurnhaeghebaert@msn.com . I'm working on a new way to count pedestrians with piezomaterial and I'm looking to make it generate it's own electricity, so this method could be usefull to me to.
Greetz
Jurn

1. What is a piezoelectric strip and how does it work?

A piezoelectric strip is a type of material that can convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. This phenomenon is known as the piezoelectric effect, which occurs due to the arrangement of positive and negative charges within the material. When the strip is subjected to mechanical stress, such as bending or pressure, it produces an electric charge. This makes it useful for various applications, including sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices.

2. What are some common uses of piezoelectric strips?

Piezoelectric strips have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in sensors, such as pressure sensors, accelerometers, and strain sensors. They are also used in actuators for precise control of movements in devices like micropumps and speakers. Additionally, piezoelectric strips are used in energy harvesting devices to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy for powering small electronic devices.

3. Where can I buy piezoelectric strips for experiments?

Piezoelectric strips can be purchased from various online and offline retailers. Some popular options include scientific supply stores, electronics suppliers, and specialized piezoelectric material manufacturers. It is important to ensure that the strips you are purchasing are of high quality and suitable for your specific experiment.

4. How do I choose the right piezoelectric strip for my experiment?

The most important factors to consider when choosing a piezoelectric strip for your experiment are the type of material, size, and thickness. Different materials have different piezoelectric properties, so you should choose one that is suitable for your specific application. The size and thickness of the strip will also affect its sensitivity and response time, so consider the requirements of your experiment before making a purchase.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with piezoelectric strips?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when working with piezoelectric strips. Firstly, these strips can produce high voltages, so it is important to handle them carefully and avoid short circuits. Additionally, some materials used in piezoelectric strips can be toxic, so always wear appropriate personal protective equipment and follow proper handling and disposal guidelines.