Weinberg vs. Misner, Thorne and Wheeler

In summary, Gravitation by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler is a more technical book while Gravitation and Cosmology by Weinberg is more accessible for those who are not particle physicists.
skowalcz
Which book on general relativity is better to start with?

"Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler,

or

"Gravitation and Cosmology" by Weinberg ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, it depends on what you know already and what you want to learn in general relativity [or "get out of learning" general relativity].

MTW is more "geometrical" and more abstract.
Weinberg is more "practical", in some sense.

robphy said:
In my opinion, it depends on what you know already and what you want to learn in general relativity [or "get out of learning" general relativity].

MTW is more "geometrical" and more abstract.
Weinberg is more "practical", in some sense.
I learned special relativity a couple of years ago. I know still (almost) nothing about GR. I'm starting in my fourth year now. Up to now I've been doing both physics and mathematics, so I know already something about curvature, Christoffel symbols, connections etc.

Why do I want to learn GR? To solve the Quantum Gravity problem!

MTW, the "big black book", is great to have around for all the special topics it covers. But I myself wasn't able to use it for self training. All those different threads and sidebars made it a slog.

I like Weinberg is better than MTW.

Pete

It's probably fair to say that Weinberg is a particle-physicist and Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler are relativists. So, these perspectives appear in their respective texts.

I tried (and failed) to read MTW sequentially. Instead, I jumped around to the various topics... and I still go back at times trying to understand the subtleties. Weinberg is easier to read and work through sequentially.

For Quantum Gravity, it might be better to go with MTW. However, you might find that D'Inverno's "Introducing Einstein's Relativity", Carroll's "Spacetime and Geometry:An Introduction to General Relativity", or Wald's "General Relativity", might be better books to start off with... on the road to MTW.

Here are some useful guides from Carroll's website
http://pancake.uchicago.edu/~carroll/grbook/bibliography.html
and from Baez's website
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/reading.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lucas SV

1. What is the main difference between Weinberg and Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler?

The main difference between Weinberg and Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler is their approach to the study of general relativity. Weinberg focuses on the mathematical formalism and the physical laws of general relativity, while Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler focus on the conceptual understanding and applications of the theory.

2. Which book should I read to learn about general relativity?

Both Weinberg's "Gravitation and Cosmology" and Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler's "Gravitation" are popular and comprehensive books on general relativity. It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and interests.

3. Are there any major disagreements between Weinberg and Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler?

While there may be some disagreements on specific concepts or interpretations, both Weinberg and Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler are highly respected and influential in the field of general relativity. They have both made significant contributions to our understanding of the theory.

4. How do Weinberg and Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler's books compare in terms of readability?

Weinberg's book may be more accessible to those with a strong background in mathematics and physics, while Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler's book may be more challenging for beginners. However, both books are well-written and can be understood with dedication and effort.

5. Can I use both Weinberg and Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler's books as references in my research?

Yes, both books are considered authoritative and can be used as references in research on general relativity. It is always important to cite your sources accurately and appropriately in scientific research.