Solving Motion Equations: Two Spacecrafts 13,500 m Apart

• Thread starter r_swayze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation was about two spacecrafts trying to dock with each other. The first spacecraft had a velocity of 525 m/s and a constant acceleration of -15.5 m/s^2. The problem was to find the initial velocity and constant acceleration of the second spacecraft so that they would arrive at the same position at the same time with zero velocity. The correct answers were calculated to be -272 m/s and 8.04 m/s^2 respectively. The mistake in the original calculations was due to incorrect signs.
r_swayze
I don't know why but I am having a little problem with this problem here:

Two spacecraft are 13,500 m apart and moving directly toward each other. The first spacecraft has velocity 525 m/s and accelerates at a constant −15.5 m/s2. They want to dock, which means they have to arrive at the same position at the same time with zero velocity. (a) What should the initial velocity of the second spacecraft be? (b) What should be its constant acceleration?

Here is my work:

used vf = vi + at to get 33.87 s for time for the 1st aircraft

used displacement = 1/2(vi + vf)t to get 8891 m

then 13500m - 8891m = 4609 m for distance traveled for the 2nd aircraft

used displacement = 1/2(vi + vf)t to get 272 m for the vi of the 2nd aircraft (answer to a)

then used vf = vi + at to get -8.04 m/s^2 for acceleration of the 2nd aircraft (answer to b)

if you plug these numbers in and add up both equations then they equal to 13500 m but somehow I am wrong? Am I using the wrong formulas or have made an err in my math? can somebody please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should forget the eq. you use to calculate displacements

d=1/2·(Vi+Vf)t

Because is almost never working just because it's not true in general.

I didn't look into all your math" but I can ensure you that using that formulae you´ll do wrong.

Zaphys said:
You should forget the eq. you use to calculate displacements

d=1/2·(Vi+Vf)t

Because is almost never working just because it's not true in general.

Assuming motion in one dimension, constant acceleration, and an initial position at [tex]x = 0[/tex], all of which conditions hold for this problem, the above equation is perfectly good.

r_swayze said:
if you plug these numbers in and add up both equations then they equal to 13500 m but somehow I am wrong? Am I using the wrong formulas or have made an err in my math? can somebody please help?

Why do you say you are wrong?

Lets draw a picture.
o1-----------x-------------02
Velocity is positive to the right as shown in the question. Because of that velocity and acceleration of o2 should be the opposite sign of o1.

a<--- o1 --->v
v<--- o2 --->a

What you have is correct in magnitude but not direction, the velocity should be negative and the acceleration should be positive.

Sorry tms and swayze I was just thinking wrong... :S

never mind swayze you're all right in that sense.

I know it's really late, but just in case you wanted to know (a) would be -272 and (b) would be 8.04. You just had the signs mixed up. I have the same online homework.

1. How do you calculate the distance between two spacecrafts using motion equations?

The distance between two spacecrafts can be calculated using the formula d = rt, where d represents distance, r represents the rate of change, and t represents time. In this case, the rate of change would be the velocity of the spacecrafts.

2. What other variables are needed to solve motion equations for two spacecrafts?

In addition to the initial distance and velocity of the spacecrafts, you will also need to know the acceleration and time elapsed in order to solve motion equations for two spacecrafts.

3. How do you account for gravitational forces when solving motion equations for two spacecrafts?

When solving motion equations for two spacecrafts, you can account for gravitational forces by using the formula F = Gm1m2/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two spacecrafts, and r is the distance between them.

4. Can motion equations be used to predict the future positions of the two spacecrafts?

Yes, motion equations can be used to predict the future positions of the two spacecrafts by plugging in different values for time and calculating the corresponding distance. However, this prediction may not be entirely accurate as it does not account for external factors such as gravitational forces from other celestial bodies.

5. How do you account for the motion of the two spacecrafts in different directions?

When solving motion equations for two spacecrafts moving in different directions, it is important to consider the direction of each spacecraft's velocity. This can be done by using vector components and breaking down the velocity into its horizontal and vertical components, and then solving the equations separately for each component.