Vector clock and vector dog displacement problems

In summary, the discussion involves determining the length of the i hat and j hat components of the displacement vector of the tip of a watch's minute hand from 8:00 AM to 8:20 AM. Another problem involves calculating the x and y components and magnitude of a dog's net displacement after running northeast, west, and south to three different trees. Trigonometry may be used to solve these problems.
M1ZeN

Homework Statement

The minute hand on a watch is 2.00 cm in length. What is the length (in cm) of the i hat component of the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand from 8:00 AM to 8:20 AM? What is the length (in cm) of the j hat component of the displacement vector of the tip of the minute hand from 8:00 AM to 8:20 AM?

Homework Equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble trying to find a geometric way of viewing the problem.
/\
l This is how I'm viewing 8:00 to 8:20 AM with only the minute hand.
l 2 cm
l
\
\ 2 cm
\
>

What I'm trying to figure out in the problem is what are the x and y components. My attempt is this:

x component
/\----
l l
l l
l l y component
\ l
\ l
\ l
>

I know from the tip of the minute hand at 8:00 AM to 8:20 AM is 2.8 cm, (2^2 + 2^2 = C^2, C = 2.8 cm)

Homework Statement

Jill's dog Sparky runs 70.0 m northeast to a tree, then 30.0 m west to a second tree, and finally 90.0 south to a third tree. Draw a picture and establish a coordinate system. Calculate the x component (in m) of Sparky's net displacement.
Calculate the y component (in m) of Sparky's net displacement.
Calculate the magnitude (in m) of Sparky's net displacement

Homework Equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, I'm again having trouble setting up values to put into an equation and viewing what in a picture is the x and y components. Here is a picture of how I'm attempting to view the problem with a coordinate system.

/\
l 30 m
-- l--------/
l l /
l 76.2 m l /
l l / 70.0 m
90 m l l /
l l /
<-------------------- l -------------------->
l l
l l
l l
l l
-- l
l
l
l
\/

Much thanks,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I'm clueless on putting the drawings I had for the problems into html so disregard the attempted pictures.

Last edited:
I can't make out your figure. But, how about using the angle made by the minute hand, and some trig, in order to get the x and y components of the hand's tip at the times listed (8:00 and 8:20)?

1. What is a vector clock?

A vector clock is a logical data structure used to track the relative ordering of events in a distributed system. It consists of a set of counters, with each counter representing the number of events that have occurred at a particular process.

2. How does a vector clock help solve the problem of concurrent events in a distributed system?

A vector clock allows for the detection of concurrent events by keeping track of the causal relationship between events. By comparing the vector clocks of different processes, it is possible to determine if events occurred concurrently or in a specific order.

3. Can vector clocks be used to solve problems other than concurrent events?

Yes, vector clocks can also be used to solve problems such as clock synchronization, consistency in distributed databases, and detecting network partitions.

4. What is a vector dog displacement problem?

A vector dog displacement problem is a scenario where a dog is moving in a two-dimensional space, and its displacement is represented by a vector. The problem involves calculating the dog's final position based on its initial position and the vector representing its displacement.

5. How can vector dog displacement problems be applied in real-world situations?

Vector dog displacement problems can be applied in various real-world situations, such as navigation and tracking of moving objects, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and designing efficient routes for vehicles. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering for analyzing motion and forces.