Cable to be used for the suspension bridge

In summary, the cable that can be used for the suspension bridge can safely support a tension of 40 MN. The shortest length of the cable that can be used to construct the bridge is L = 72 m. The corresponding value of h is 8.2 m.
NDO

Homework Statement

The cable to be used for the suspension bridge can safely support a tension of 40 MN.
 Calculate the shortest length of the cable that can be used to construct the bridge.
 Calculate the corresponding value of h.
(Neglect the issue of safety factor).

L = 72

Homework Equations

I have no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

i have been trying to find any equation to find the sag or the length but i need the sag to get the length or i need the load to get the sag.

can anyone give me a point in the right direction

cheers Nathaniel

Physics news on Phys.org
NDO: We need to know how the cable is loaded. Have you omitted some information, or a diagram? Also, are the supports at each end of the cable at the same elevation?

From your current post, it almost sounds like the cable is loaded with a uniformly-distributed load w, is of negligible self weight, and both supports are at the same elevation, right? Or wrong?

You have not yet indlcated the cable weight or the uniformly distributed load from the train load and deck. Cables hanging under their own weight form a catenary using the hyperbolic functions (which can be approximated by a parabola when the sag is much less than the span) . When cable weight can be neglected in comparison to the uniformly horizontally distributed dead and live loads, it takes on a parabolic shape. That probably doesn't help with your answer,though, until you come up with the correct relationship (equation) between Tension, Sag, loading, span length, etc., whether it's a catenary or a parabola.

NDO: With only the information you posted above, the problem has infinite solutions. You gave us only span length L, cable tension, and an unknown uniformly-distributed load w. Well, for any value you choose for cable length, s, greater than 72 m, there is a corresponding value of w that will cause exactly 40 MN of cable tension.

Therefore, I believe you may be omitting some information that we need to know to be able to solve the problem. Can you post an actual picture of the problem statement, so we can read exactly what it says?

NDO: I agree. Assume the cable has a parabolic shape and is weightless, and probably use only the first two terms of the cable length (series) formula. Solve for cable length in terms of w. Then for part (b), solve for h in terms of w. Post your answers if you want someone to try to check your math.

1. What type of material is best for a suspension bridge cable?

The most commonly used material for suspension bridge cables is steel. Steel is strong, durable, and can withstand heavy loads. Other materials such as carbon fiber and titanium have also been used in some suspension bridges, but steel remains the most popular choice.

2. How are suspension bridge cables made?

Suspension bridge cables are typically made by twisting together multiple strands of steel wires to form a larger cable. These cables are then coated with a protective layer, such as zinc, to prevent corrosion. The cables are then anchored at either end of the bridge and tightened to the appropriate tension.

3. How do engineers determine the thickness and number of cables needed for a suspension bridge?

The thickness and number of cables needed for a suspension bridge are determined by several factors, including the length of the bridge, the expected weight of the bridge and its load, and the expected wind and weather conditions in the area. Engineers use complex mathematical calculations and computer simulations to determine the optimal design for the cables.

4. Can suspension bridge cables be replaced or repaired?

Yes, suspension bridge cables can be replaced or repaired if necessary. Steel cables can be cut and new sections can be spliced in, and damaged or corroded sections can be replaced. However, this process can be complex and expensive, so regular maintenance and inspections are important to prevent the need for major repairs.

5. How long do suspension bridge cables last?

The lifespan of suspension bridge cables can vary depending on factors such as the materials used, the level of maintenance and upkeep, and the weather conditions in the area. With proper care, steel cables can last for several decades before needing to be replaced. However, some suspension bridge cables have been in use for over 100 years.