Differences between power and torque in a car?

In summary: Low rpm can also produce lower power because it wastes energy. It's all about finding the right rpm for the right torque.The higher the rpm, the more power you can produce. But you have to be careful not to overrev the engine, or it will wear out quickly.Both max power and max torque are achieved at the same rpm, but the torque will be higher.
Ask1122
Hi guys, have been doing some thinking about cars recently, just wanted to find out what exactly is the difference between power and torque when it comes to motor vehicles?

I think that more power allows you to have a higher max. speed, you can also carry heavier stuff in your vehicle if you have more power. On the other hand, i think that if you have more torque, your wheels should be able to spin faster as well, hence, also more speed?

I have heard that torque also contributes to how fast your car can accelerate, so more torque = higher acceleration, but some people told me that petrol cars accelerate faster than diesel cars, which kinda shattered that theory...

And when it comes to the torque and power curves of a vehicle, i think that it stays the same dispict whichever gears you are in (certain rpm will give you certain power & torque). So what is the significance of that, what characteristics can you tell by looking at the curves, are we always trying to achieve the max torque at the lowest rpm possible? Why don't we try to get both max power and max torque at the same rpm??

Thank you all!

Engineering news on Phys.org
First of all, I am no way getting into a discussion about this. The thread above nearly killed me but baching my head against the wall.
Ask1122 said:
Hi guys, have been doing some thinking about cars recently, just wanted to find out what exactly is the difference between power and torque when it comes to motor vehicles?

Torque is a twisting motion around an axis. It has the units of force* distance. It can be views as the roatational equivilant of force.

Power is the rate of work, so work/energy per unit time.None is more important then the opther as they are both mathematically interlinked.Power is Torque * angular velocity.

So for a handy equation.
Power (Bhp) = (Torque (Ft/Lbs.) x Rpm) / 5250
Power (Watts) = Torque (Nm) * RPM * 2 * PI / 60

Ask1122 said:
I think that more power allows you to have a higher max. speed, you can also carry heavier stuff in your vehicle if you have more power. On the other hand, i think that if you have more torque, your wheels should be able to spin faster as well, hence, also more speed?

I have heard that torque also contributes to how fast your car can accelerate, so more torque = higher acceleration, but some people told me that petrol cars accelerate faster than diesel cars, which kinda shattered that theory...

You have to realize the gearbox playes a large role in a car as it acts as a torque multiplyer.
Accelerration is determined by the thrust at the wheels, which is determined by the torque at the wheels.

Torque provides the acceleration. Wheel torque is Engine torque * drive ratio. The the torque output of the engine provides the actualy 'push' to move.

You cannot compare diesels and pertol directly as you arent takeing into account the gearbox. Diesels produce mroe torque, but they do it at a lower engine speed requiring different gearing.

Diesels can go incredibly quickly and accelerate harder than a pertrol with tuning for speed and Just look at the audi R10 and Peugeot 908.

Power is the amount of work done in time. So it's basically the potential of the engine. An gine with high power will hav ethe potential to do more.

You can have a high torque engine have a high top speed with correct gearnig or a high power engine go slowly but lift great weights.

So in short gearing is the key. You can't say diesel accelrates better then pertol as it makes more torque. or that petrol can go faster then diesel because it makes more power.

GEARING (capped and bolded for emphasis.) is the key.
Ask1122 said:
And when it comes to the torque and power curves of a vehicle, i think that it stays the same dispict whichever gears you are in (certain rpm will give you certain power & torque). So what is the significance of that, what characteristics can you tell by looking at the curves, are we always trying to achieve the max torque at the lowest rpm possible? Why don't we try to get both max power and max torque at the same rpm??

Thank you all!

The power curves is defined by the torque curve. Menging that they can NEVER! occur ar the same rev value. Notice on dyno graphs that the curves always cross at 5250 revs. Google them and look.

The only way you can have max torqur and max power at the same rev is by having the engine limited to a certain revs.

You want to produce max torque in the region where the engine will be used the most.

ITs common to think that low down torque is what is designed for becuase we drive road cars. We commonly spend all out time at low rpm. A race engine will be turned to produce torque at high rpm.
Turing torque to peak will make the powerband of the ngine very narrow and will require lots of gears and skill to drivel. An egnien with a wide high torque #peak' will be easy to drive and require less gear chagnes.

Tuning torque for high rpm will make much more power, as power is torque * angualr vel. But will make it horrid to drive at low engine speeds.

That is the key to engine design, getting the balance between practicality, drivaility and power.

how did i miss the referenced post above?...anyway..well said, Chris, as usual

Thanks a lot for the Information .. nice question posed.!

What is the difference between power and torque in a car?

Power and torque are two important measurements that describe the performance of a car's engine. Power is the rate at which work is done, while torque is the twisting force that is produced by the engine. In simpler terms, power determines how fast a car can go, while torque determines how quickly it can accelerate.

Which is more important in a car, power or torque?

Both power and torque are important in a car, but they serve different purposes. Power is more important for high-speed driving and top speed, while torque is more important for quick acceleration and towing capacity. The ideal balance of power and torque will depend on the type of car and its intended use.

How are power and torque measured in a car?

Power is typically measured in horsepower (hp) or kilowatts (kW), while torque is measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (Nm). These measurements can be found in a car's specifications and are determined through testing on a dynamometer. The higher the numbers, the more powerful and torquey the car's engine is.

Can a car have high power but low torque, or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible for a car to have high power but low torque, or vice versa. This is because power and torque are affected by different factors in an engine. For example, a car with a high-revving engine may have high power but low torque, while a car with a large displacement engine may have high torque but lower power.

How do power and torque impact a car's fuel efficiency?

The relationship between power, torque, and fuel efficiency is complex and can vary depending on the car. Generally, a car with higher power and torque will consume more fuel, especially when driven at high speeds. However, newer technologies such as turbocharging and hybrid systems can improve fuel efficiency while still maintaining high power and torque outputs.