Xray - what physics discipline?

Ultimately, it would be beneficial to have knowledge and understanding of both disciplines in order to excel in this field.
Vector_Joe
Hi,

New here. I work in the design and manufacture of medical xray tubes (CT applications mostly). So off and on I think about going back to grad school (have a BS in physics-general).

So for my first question to the forum, what discipline would you categorize the field of xray generation. Specifically using a vacuum enclosure, anode, cathode, electron beam, bremmstrahlung and KShell emission?

I'm starting to lean toward quantum physics, but could also see accelerator physics... not sure.

Thanks

Joe

Science news on Phys.org
I would say that this field could be categorized as either quantum physics or accelerator physics. Quantum physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy on a subatomic level, while accelerator physics deals with the acceleration of particles in order to create x-rays. Both fields involve the same concepts, so it really depends on which one you prefer.

As a fellow scientist, I can say that the field of x-ray generation would fall under the discipline of quantum physics. This is because the generation of x-rays involves the interaction of electrons with matter, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics. The concepts of energy levels, electron transitions, and emission of photons all play a crucial role in understanding the production of x-rays. Additionally, the use of vacuum enclosures, anodes, and cathodes also involve principles of quantum mechanics. While accelerator physics may also play a role in the production of x-rays, it is ultimately the underlying principles of quantum mechanics that govern the process. I hope this helps in your decision to pursue further education in this exciting field!

1. What is X-ray and what is its significance in physics?

X-ray is a type of electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength shorter than that of visible light. It was first discovered in 1895 by Wilhelm Roentgen and has since been used in various fields such as medicine, materials science, and astronomy to study the structure and properties of matter at the atomic and molecular level.

2. How do X-rays work?

X-rays are produced when high-speed electrons collide with a metal target, such as tungsten, in a process called bremsstrahlung radiation. The energy of the electrons is converted into X-ray photons, which can then be directed onto a sample or object to be studied. The absorption and scattering of these X-rays can provide information about the internal structure of the sample.

3. What is the relationship between X-rays and the electromagnetic spectrum?

X-rays fall between ultraviolet (UV) radiation and gamma rays on the electromagnetic spectrum. They have a shorter wavelength and higher energy than UV radiation, but a longer wavelength and lower energy than gamma rays.

4. How are X-rays used in medical imaging?

X-rays are commonly used in medical imaging to produce images of bones and other dense structures in the body. The X-rays are directed through the body and absorbed at different rates by bones, organs, and other tissues, creating an image that can help diagnose injuries or diseases.

5. What are the potential hazards of X-ray exposure?

X-rays can be harmful to living tissue due to their ability to ionize atoms and disrupt chemical bonds. Prolonged and repeated exposure to X-rays can increase the risk of developing cancer. Therefore, proper safety measures, such as shielding and limiting exposure time, are necessary when working with X-rays.